Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Return to Exchange 2003 from 2007/2003 Environment...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return to Exchange 2003 from 2007/2003 Environment...

We introduced a 2003 x64 server running Exchange 2007 to what was a single server system running 2003 server with Exchange 2003. The two servers and Exchange servers seem to coexist. We have run into a situation where we need to take the new server out again (in fact will have to remove it manually as can't dcpromo - it is either a corrupt OS or a hardware issue).

When we try to set Outlook on client machines to point to the old server running Exchange 2003, it keeps only pointing to Exchange 2007 when we check the name.

How can we get back to 2003 Exchange only while we rebuild the server that is running Exchange 2007 completely? The old server is running SBS. We desparately need to get the client's email running right away.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Return to Exchange 2003 from 2007/2003 Environment...

Where are the users mailboxes?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

It should have been noted that we can't get the new server running 2007 to login. We are trying everything to get back to the Exchange Manager for Exchange 2007 as we think we can then manage the 2003 Exchange server. We just need to be able to point all the clients to Exchange 2003 and then we are out of the woods.

Thanks...

Comment

I believe they are on the Exch 2007 at this point. However my understanding was that it was stored on both servers since the coexist. Is this not the case? I did not recall us moving over the storage at any point.

Comment

It isn't likely the mailboxes are on both and even if they were (with an export and import for example) then only one would be up to date since then.
          Can you see any mailboxes on the 2003 still?
          Can the 07 definitely not be fixed? Have you got backups?
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

I just now got the 2007 server to boot, but of course it is offsite at this point so we can't really make domain changes. We have back-ups of the store, but at this point the client doesn't care even if there is a gap. They just want to start getting email while we get the server up and running.

The plan was this... get mail redirected to 2003 and then demote server running 2007 Exchange, rebuild the box, bring it back in. If we can just get email running back on 2003 Exchange, we are set.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Mailboxes cannot exist on more than one server.
              If the server will come up and the Exchange services are started then I would be looking to setup a workstation with the Exchange 2007 management tools on them and then use Move Mailbox to move the mailboxes back.

Another option, if you can get the raw files off the machine (with the Exchange services stopped) would be a disaster recovery installation.

There are plenty of options available, but it may well be best if you call Microsoft, pay their fee and get them to assist you. That will ensure the least loss of data and will be a lot more cost effective - their fee is fixed, whether it takes 10 minutes or 10 hours.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Maybe someone can help in taking the first step which is just getting the 2003 server running again. I have backups of the current mailboxes. The client is just interested in getting their email running at this point and then we can merge in new emails and the existing after if we can restore. Any ideas?

Comment

If you don't want to speak to MS even though they will not cost that much and can give you the best solution and help you through it then I would look at installing the 2007 tools on a workstation. Remove all of the exchange attributes from the users and re-create them on the 2003 mailbox server as new mailboxes. I would stop SMTP from coming in until you have re-created them all first though.
                  You can then look at a recovery storage group for a restore.
                  This is just off the top of my head though and I would definitely wait for other recommendations.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X