Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cross forest migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

Hi,

I have a problem with a migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007. There are 2 different forests, one with Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003 and a new one with Windows 2008 and Exchange 2007 sp1.
    In the new AD, all the users will be created from scratch, so there is no user migration from the old domain. However, we need to move the mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 and the move-mailbox command has a problem if it doesn't find the same user SID in both domains. Also, because there are a lot of mailboxes to be migrated, the option to use .pst EXMERGE utility is not a viable possibility.
    Is there any other way to move the mailboxes?

Thanks in advance

Re: cross dorest migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

Hi,

Hope you have followed delegation steps.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx

Rgds

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      I have not started the migration process yet. I've read the article that you sent me and it states that:

"Also, before you perform this procedure, be aware of the following:
      This procedure moves only the mailbox to the target forest. It does not move the user account. If you want to move both the user account and the corresponding mailbox to the target forest, you must first use a tool such as the Active Directory Migration Tool version 3.0 (ADMT v3) to move the user account to the target forest, and then move the mailbox to the target account. For more information about ADMT v3, see Active Directory Migration Tool v3.0."

In my scenario, the target users are already created and NOT migrated from the windows 2003 AD. My question is, how will the move-mailbox command understand which is one the user in the new AD in order to move the mailbox there, if a tool like ADMT is not executed previously. Is it possible to work?

Thank you

Comment

Dear,
        I don't think it's possible. You can't just move the mailboxes in such manner. Exchange 2008 does not understand your Exchange 2003 Database....
        Thanks,

Shridhar Bhat

MCITP-Enterprise Messaging Administrator,
        MCSE:Messaging on 2003,
        MCSE:Messaging on 2000,
        ITIL

"Trying alone makes you perfect"

Comment

Thank you very much for your input. I thought it might be tough to do, because I have over 3500 mailboxes to move. I thing that the import-mailbox command is the only one that will do it, but that means that I have .pst backups for 3500 mailboxes.
          Do you know if there is a third-party tool that can copy SID information to another user in the new forest?
          Thanks in advance

Comment

Re: cross forest migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

No clue buddy. Please check in AD forums.

Be careful while working with AD tools. you need to understand what they do exactly. make sure you test in LAB and use it.
            Thanks,

Shridhar Bhat

MCITP-Enterprise Messaging Administrator,
            MCSE:Messaging on 2003,
            MCSE:Messaging on 2000,
            ITIL

"Trying alone makes you perfect"

Comment

Working...
            X