No announcement yet.

Exchange Migration - Reverse DNS Failure

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Migration - Reverse DNS Failure

We have an Exchange 2003 server and recently installed an Exchange 2007 server. We are in the process of migrating everything over. I created a Send connector and disabled it with the intention of enabling it once our firewall rules, etc. are configured to route mail to the new server.
    The problem is that all e-mails from both servers are routing through 2007. This works for most recipients, but not the ones that do a reverse DNS check. We have a Sprint managed network, so I can't just make the changes to the firewall myself. I've already submitted the change request, but it usually takes a week or more for them to complete it. In the meantime, my queues on 2007 are filling up with undeliverable mail.
    So, my question is, how do I tell both 2003 and 2007 to send mail through the 2003 server?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Exchange Migration - Reverse DNS Failure

What's your connecter configuration? What are the roles installed on Exchnage 2007 box?

Please try to provide more information on connector configuration.

Shridhar Bhat

MCITP-Enterprise Messaging Administrator,
    MCSE:Messaging on 2003,
    MCSE:Messaging on 2000,

"Trying alone makes you perfect"

Send Connector
      Type: SMTP
      Address: *
      Use DNS "MX" records to route mail automatically

There's also the two way connector between 2003 and 2007.

Server Roles
      Hub Transport
      Client Access

I did try removing the Send Connector that I created, but this just prevented any outbound mail traffic, so I had to recreate it. The SMTP virtual server is still installed on 2003, but doesn't appear to be doing anything.

While you have Exchange 2003 you should have an SMTP Connector that is created on the Exchange 2003 server in ESM. Therefore I would suggest you start there. You can then set which server the email routes through. The SMTP Connector will appear as a Send Connector in Exchange 2007 but you cannot modify it through EMC.

When you have completed the migration, remove the SMTP Connector and replace it with a Send Connector. Check the FQDN on the Send Connector matches your reverse DNS record on the IP address.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

That worked. Thanks, Sembee.