X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Exchange 2007 to new domain with same name

Hi folks

As the title suggests...

We have 2 old DC's right now (windows 2003) and the AD is really messy (we do a lot of in-house testing on our own network, and its never been properly maintained).

We also have Exchange 2007 up and running. We would like to create a new domain, with a new AD installation, with the same domain name as the one we currently have.

Then join the Exchange we have now to the new domain (same name).

I think this is really messy and maybe there is an easier way to do it. There are not a huge amount of users here so any manual user work isnt a problem.

TIA

Hong

Re: Moving Exchange 2007 to new domain with same name

If there aren't that many users why not do it all manually and start with a completely fresh slate. If you require the existing email you can export it and re-import it. How many NTFS permissions etc do you have setup? Obviously this depends on your definition of no many though.

I don't believe you can take exchange off the old domain and just add it to the new one even if they are the same name. You would need to migrate some way (admt etc) and move the mailboxes but for small numbers it would be best to start with a clean slate.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, a completely clean slate is an option I guess.

I think the main contraint is time to be honest. We are a small company, with about 20 servers doing various things, low man count. We were trying to save on man hours because we are thin on the ground as it were already.

Setting up a brand new domain would require a lot of side by side working (i.e having the old and new domain running side by side, although seperate if you know what I mean) and I dont think we have the additional kit to do it.

Hmmm, this is going to be harder then I thought I think. We run a 24hr on call helpdesk as well which means email can never really be down that long.

Ahhh!

Comment

Hmm. I think you need to decide what you want to end up with specifically. There are loads of options available and I am a keen believer in clean setups where possible.

Originally posted by hongman View Post
        There are not a huge amount of users here so any manual user work isnt a problem.
        We were trying to save on man hours because we are thin on the ground

We would like to create a new domain, with a new AD installation, with the same domain name as the one we currently have.
        Setting up a brand new domain would require a lot of side by side working (i.e having the old and new domain running side by side, although seperate if you know what I mean) and I dont think we have the additional kit to do it.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

I guess at the end of the day, we are after a clean AD, with 2 new DC's (scrapping current DC's, hardware is waaaay old)

I would love to do a clean slate setup from scratch, but I just cant see how we could get everything done in a few hours tops.

No doubt moving domains will break certain apps amd services too which requires time to resolve.

Basically, due to lack of resource, running side by side migrating one thing at a time is not possible, so that leaves only a hard stop - reinstall/reconfigure everything - start approach, which would give us too much downtime. Add to the fact nothing ever goes smoothly...

At a total loss!

Comment

I'm sure there is an adage about that
            Maybe, where there is time, cleanup the current AD and get it healthy. Create change control for anyone wanting to edit it. Add a new DC(s) as part of the clean domain and then add in Ex07, move mailboxes etc that way you don't have downtime, you get new hardware for the DC side of things and you get your migration to 07.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy, I think cleaning up AD as it is now will probably be the better option than a brand new domain.

Although, I have no idea where to start. Ha. I'm talking things like loads of unused user accounts, groups, objects. I have seen references to things like Metaframe XP which we havent used in donkey's years.

Comment

You can search these forums to find scripts that will show unused computer accounts etc. You can create an OU for objects that probably aren't required and disable them to see if it causes issues. Check the domain/ent admin groups and remove users who shouldn't be there. Bring up a VM of a clean 2003 domain to see if you have odd permissions too. Check the group policy entries and assignations.
                Plenty to do
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Thanks buddy

Comment

Hi,

ADFIND, DSQUERY, ADMOD, DSGET ETC, are the handy tools for ad clean..

Rgds

Comment

Thanks. I will be referring back to this thread (and probably creating new ones as I break things!) as I progress through!

Comment

Working...
                      X