Transitioning Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transitioning Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

Thanks in advance for reading this Thread and thanks in advance for the feedback!

Below, Iím presenting an outline of the steps Iím planning to take during the transition. Of course this is not in detail but again I want to make sure Iím going over the right path as I donít have room for any mistakes given the fact that email is extremely critical for this company

This is our current configuration:
    ē MS Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise both running latest SPs
    ē Exchange 2003 running on cluster environment (and the idea is to setup CCR with Exchange 2007)
    ē Domain and Forest Functional Level: Windows 2003

The plan:
    A. Transition Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007
    B. We will have a period of coexistence while we move resources to Exch 2007
    C. Initially we will not deploy the Edge server. NOTE: We currently use a Barracuda box in the DMZ to fight spam
    D. Two servers will be dedicated to implement CCR for the mailbox server roles
    E. One server will be dedicated to implement CAS and the Hub Transport roles
    F. We comply with all the pre-requisites for Exchange 2007 so we are ready to proceed with the transition
    G. According to my research and documentation Iíve found, this is what Iím planning to do:

1. Setup CAS Server: The first role to be deployed will be the CAS server role. Next, we will deploy the Hub Transport

QUESTION: As indicated above one server will be dedicated to implement CAS and the Hub Transport roles. Having said that, should I install the CAS and Hub roles separately or can I select both roles during setup?

Regarding the CAS server in coexistence with Exch 2003
    QUESTION:

1.1. Is it convenient to setup Outlook Anywhere at this point considering that we already have setup RPC over HTTP on Exchange 2003?

1.2. If we setup Outlook Anywhere during coexistence, are we going to have any issues or conflicts?

2. Setup Hub Transport Role: According to the theory, once you indicate an Exchange 2003 bridgehead server name during the installation, Exch 2007 setup creates a routing group connector so mail can flow between Exch 2003 and Exch 2007 but I guess this mail flow is only internal, isnít is? So if I understand this correctly, I must create a SEND and RECEIVE connector in order to enable mail flow to and from the Internet

QUESTION:

2.1. Regarding Send Connectors: Going back to creating a SEND connector so email can flow out of the organizationÖ is a new Send Connector with the Usage Type of INTERNET what I need or should I create a new Send Connector with the Usage Type of Custom?

2.2 Regarding Receive Connectors: According to this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...,printer).aspx

During installation of Exch 2007, explicit Receive connectors are automatically created on each Hub Transport server. One Receive connector is configured to receive SMTP traffic from all sources by listening on Port 25. A second Receive connector is configured to receive SMTP traffic from non-MAPI clients by listening on Port 587. This article says that the usage type for this connector is Internal. Does this mean that I need to create an additional Receive connector in order to receive email from outside of my organization? The same article says: ďBy default, when you install the Hub Transport server role, two Receive connectors existÖ No additional Receive connectors are neededĒÖ

Then in this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...,printer).aspx

It says: ďAfter you install the Hub Transport server role on a Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 computer, you must manually create Send connectors and Receive connectors to establish mail flow between your organization and the Internet. By default, no Send connectors are created on Hub Transport server.Ē
    This is a little bit confusing! All I need to know is whether or nor I need to create a RECEIVE connector in addition to the 2 built-in RECEIVE connectors. If so, is a new Receive Connector with the Usage Type of INTERNET what I need or should I create a new Receive Connector with the Usage Type of Custom?

2.3 Do I need to create these SEND and RECEIVE connectors right after installing my first Hub Transport server so Exch 2003 and Exch 2007 can work properly during the coexistence? Or is this something I do right before I decommission the Exch 2003 server?

BUTTOM LINE:
    I want to learn how to configure the Exchange 2007 Hub Transport Role to Send and Receive internet email during Co-existance with Exchange 2003 and after Decommissioning Exchange 2003

3. Configure Network Gateway (Firewall) to route SMTP to and from the Hub Transport Server

4. Point Internet Clients to the CAS Server - This is done on the firewall

5. Deploy and configure Mailbox Server Role(s) Ė We will setup CCR

QUESTION

5.1 Can we setup CCR in co-existance with Exchange 2003 considering that we are running Exchange 2003 running on cluster environment?

5.2. Since we will have to use a new name for the CCR cluster (it would be nice if we could keep the same name but unless there is a hidden trick I donít know I donít think this is feasible), Iím assuming that we will have to setup a new MX record in order to point to the new server name, right?

5.3. IMPORTANT: Once the CCR and the new mailbox server role is deployed, how Outlook 2003 clients will recognize the new mailbox server name? Is this something we will have to manually change in every Outlook 2003 client? If so, what would be the best way to do it? Should we add an entry to HOST files on users computers? Is there any more efficient solution in this regard?

5.4. I think that Outlook 2007 will be ok as the Autodiscover feature should take care of the new server name, right?

6. Create Storage Groups on New Exch 2007

7. Move Mailboxes from Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange 2007

8. Replicate Public Folders from Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange 200

9. Migrate Blackberry Server BES from Exch 2003 to Exch 2007

10. Decommission Exchange 2003 Server
Working...
X