Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Exchange 2K7...one forest..multiple sites..schema master in separate site.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Exchange 2K7...one forest..multiple sites..schema master in separate site.

Hello.

first thank you for taking the time to read. I am installing a new (first) Exchange server 2007 in our new domain. However i keep getting the error of unable to contact Schema Master and server is not in the same site as the Schema Master.

Error:
    Setup needs to contact the Active Directory schema master but this computer is not in the same Active Directory domain as the schema master (DC=mydomain,DC=lcl).
    Recommended Action: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...6-cb9ac4788988

-On the Schema master which is a Chicago site. I was able to run PrepareAD and PrepareSchema; just cannot install Exchange 2007. The Exchange server is in UK.

-So it is one forest with multiple sites. single domain...is that a problem? does each site need its own Schema master....wouldnt think so? perhaps it is a replication issue between Chicago and UK?

- And if i change the Schema master to the DC in UK can i change it back? and what repercussions would that have? and is that a practice that is endorsed?

I am at a loss here...dont know where to go from here....any and all help will be appreciated. Thnx.

Re: Installing Exchange 2K7...one forest..multiple sites..schema master in separate s

There is no seperate Schema for different Sites in the same forest. Schema is changed only on Schema master and gets replicated to other DCs in evry site.

So it seems to be the replication issue. I would suggest you to check the version of Schema on both "Schema Master" and the DC in your site.

Regards,
    Last edited by kapilsharma11; 22nd April 2008, 14:18.
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Re: Installing Exchange 2K7...one forest..multiple sites..schema master in separate s

Just to add:

Refer the below KB to check the Schema Version:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240427

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

The Schema master versions are the same...31...in both the root domain..the DC in chicago..and DC in UK.

Comment

I think it is best to run the schema updates on the schema master itself. If it is x86 then use the 32bit install for this (it is supported).
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Andy-

thnx... i did run the setup /prepareSchema and setup /PrepareAD on the Schema master in Chicago...but the issue is when i try to run the Exchange Server 2007 SP1 setup..i get the error.

Comment

Just to clarify, you ran the forest updates for SP1 as well on the schema master?
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

isnt the setup/ prepSchema and setup/PrepareAD ....those two were the only ones I ran..

what is the command for the forest?

and this is a new fresh install of E2K7 w/SP1...not an upgrade ...

I checked replmon and everything seems to be replicating properly. my next step is change the location of the Schema master to a UK dc ...

Comment

and somehow it is working now... perhaps the AD replication took forever? days?

once i find the answer as to why ...then i will post again..thnx.

Comment

Replication can take a while.

new (first) Exchange server 2007
                    The above is why I was checking regarding SP1. It wasn't clear that's all.
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Working...
                    X