Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop not sending emails - Transport issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop not sending emails - Transport issue?

Getting an SMTP error (0x800CCC0F, The connection to the server was interrupted) when sending on my pop account on a new install of exchange07. I've checked connectivity and authentication credentials but don't see the issue.

Event viewer is logging the 4999 error message "watson report about to be sent to dw20.exe..." whenever i try to send and recieve on the account. Connecting through an exchange account sending and receiving is fine.

Also, traffic comes in fine from the outside and I can telnet into pop server but not telnet into port 25 from inside the office. That sounds like my problem but the only thing I'm running, firewall wise in Ninja Email Security. I checked the settings but can't locate why I'm not able to telnet into 25.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Re: Pop not sending emails - Transport issue?

When you connect to Exchange using Outlook in Exchange mode the client does not use POP or SMTP it uses RPC so that explains why it works for those clients. Are you saying you are able to telnet to port 110 for POP, log in and list your mailbox contents but are unable to telnet to port 25 for SMTP? I would disable/unistall Ninja Email Security and see if that resolves the issue. If it does then you can narrow your focus on that component.

Comment

Have you set your receive connector in Exchange to accept anonymous connections?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Here's what I recently discovered. When outside the network conecting in through pop, sending and receiving works fine. Its when I'm inside the network that the smtp connection through pop fails.

A little background on the enviornment:

32Bit host Windows Server 2003 running VMWare Server 1.0.5 and housing Exchange on a 64Bit Windows 2003. All service packs and updates have been applied. Running a client version of Symantec AV, but uninstalled it to test the SMTP issue to no avail. So I put it back on.

Yeah, default receive connector has AA turned on.

Comment

What do you have in the client settings for outgoing mailserver?
          Is it the public name which doesn't resolve internally perhaps?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

any antivirus products? some of them, like the corporate mcaffee, have email worm protection running, and that can block port 25, especially for internal connections
            ________
            Ferrari 550 specifications
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:29.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

joeqwerty, I thought that Outlook uses MAPI to connect to the Exchange server, and Server to Server uses RPC...
              Is that not the case?
              Regards,
              John

Comment

MAPI is an application programming interface, it's what allows Outlook to do what it does. MAPI "rides" on RPC in order to communicate between the Outlook client and the Exchange server. This is typically referred to as MAPI/RPC or Outlook-Exchange Transport Protocol. As the underlying transport is still RPC (typically over TCP, although it would work with NETBeui as well) ) I always refer to the communication as occurring over RPC.

Comment

I see... thanks for clarifying that for me.
                  Regards,
                  John

Comment

Got it corrected. The version of Ninja Email Security we were using was supposedly the latest version but after calling Sunbelt Software support and 30 minutes of troubleshooting, it was determined that needing the "real" latest version of NES. When we unregistered the ninja agent that manages the transport services, I could telnet and send emails.

They sent me the "latest"version (2.1.5361) which worked better with sp1 and that seemed to do the trick. After that I had to remove and re-add a few outlook profiles to get them to work. But all is well now, sorta. Gotta another issue that I'm gonna post a question on called Verizon Wireless sync - Exchange 07 compatibility.

Thanks again for your help. You guys are much quicker to respond that Experts-Exchange !

Comment

Working...
                    X