Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 services will not start after rollup 5 and sp1

Hello All,
    I planned to update a client to Exchange 2007 SP1, but I ran microsoft updates first, which installed Exchange 2007 rollup 6. I didn't pay attention and rebooted the server and installed SP1. It doesn't look like it worked after the rollup. At first I saw that I could not get the information store and system attendant to start. Errror - Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. - Error 0x80004005. and Error 0x80004005 connecting to the Microsoft Active Directory.
    Then I realized that if the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology Service was not running the information store and the system attendant would start and topology and all others would not.
    I found a couple of thing, like ckeck the domain local security policy to make sure manage auditing was enabled, it is. And was verified with Policytest.exe.
    I also made sure the default recipient policy was set right. - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb885057.aspx

When the two services ad topology and information store start (not at the same time) they both connect sucessfully to the Domain controller over 389, which would make sense why they could not run at the same time. When Information store is running and you try to start Topology you get - The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology Service service terminated with service-specific error 2147500037 (0x80004005).
    The Domain controller has had no updates, it is running 2003 SP2 x64.
    DCDIAG point to the domain controller and netdiag both come back clean. I am at a loss and do not know where to go next. Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks, Jim

Here are some of the other error logs. The zipped application log is to big to post, let me know if you think it would help.

probably because system attendant isn't running:
    A transient failure has occurred. The problem may resolve itself in awhile. The service will retry in 56 seconds. Diagnostic information:

Cannot open mailbox /o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=CVCS-EXCH01/cn=Microsoft System Attendant.
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionFailedTr ansientException: Cannot open mailbox /o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=CVCS-EXCH01/cn=Microsoft System Attendant. ---> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionNetworkError: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227)
    Diagnostic context:
    Lid: 10648 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Generating component: 2
    Lid: 14744 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Status: 1753
    Lid: 9624 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Detection location: 501
    Lid: 13720 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Flags: 0
    Lid: 11672 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: NumberOfParameters: 4
    Lid: 8856 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[0]: Unicode string: ncacn_ip_tcp
    Lid: 8856 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[1]: Unicode string: cvcs-exch01.CVCS1974
    Lid: 12952 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[2]: Long val: -1527653632
    Lid: 15000 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[3]: Pointer val: 0x0x02ea2750 (UnknownPtag)
    Lid: 19778
    Lid: 27970 StoreEc: 0x80040115
    Lid: 17730
    Lid: 25922 StoreEc: 0x80040115
    at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(St ring message, Int32 hresult, Int32 ec, DiagnosticContext diagCtx)
    at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcConnection.Create(ConnectionCa che connectionCache, ExRpcConnectionCreateFlag createFlags, ConnectFlag connectFlags, String serverDn, String userDn, String user, String domain, String password, String httpProxyServerName, Int32 ulConMod, Int32 lcidString, Int32 lcidSort, Int32 cpid, Int32 cReconnectIntervalInMins, Int32 cbRpcBufferSize, Int32 cbAuxBufferSize)
    at Microsoft.Mapi.ConnectionCache.OpenMapiStore(Strin g mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, ClientIdentityInfo clientIdentity, String userDnAs, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String applicationId)
    at Microsoft.Mapi.ConnectionCache.OpenMailbox(String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, WindowsIdentity windowsIdentityAs, String userDnAs, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String applicationId)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePoo l.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean secondTry)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePoo l.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean secondTry)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePoo l.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Ini tialize(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, ADOrgPerson delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Cre ateMailboxSession(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, ADOrgPerson delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Ope nAsAdmin(ExchangePrincipal mailboxOwner, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Servicelets.SystemAttendantMail box.Servicelet.Work()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Last edited by jimmoore; 28th March 2008, 18:14.

Re: Exchange 2007 services will not start after rollup 5 and sp1

well, after 7 hours with Microsoft support, it still doesn't work. They blamed it on the single lable domain and said that SP1 doesn't support single lable domains. Which just isn't true.
    They said uninstall and reinstall it, but that didn't seem right to me. I sat down on Saturday and tried to figure it out again. This server had already lost a drive and corrupted the MFT on the drive which Exchange was installed about 6 months ago. I was going over the services again and saw that some of them were running from the c drive and some from the d drive. I switched them all over to the c drive and everything started working. I guess the recovery install moved some of the stuff to the c drive and sp1 updated the c drive but it never looked at the location of the services.
    So I am glad it is now working, I just wish I could have cut out about 20 hours of troubleshooting something that took 15 minutes to fix.

Comment

Working...
    X