A question about distribution group

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about distribution group

Exchange server 2007.

I have a distribution group named "ALL"
    The distribution group is published in the GAL.

Is there a way that every time a new mailbox is created then the name will be added automaticly to the "ALL" distribution group ?

And is there a way that if I delete a certein mailbox, it will be deleted from the "ALL" group ? (automatically)

Re: A question about distribution group

if you create the query that way, yes.

my "ALL" contact looks like this in LDAP:
    (&(!cn=SystemMailbox{*})(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(home MDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*))) )))

which works, but if the user hasnt recieved mail, then the box isnt actually there...

so instead, you could define it as any user with an email address. i dont know what the handle is for that, but like (emailAdress=*) so that way the users with email addresses get the message.

check the preview and see if it looks correct.

you could create a simple on just by checking the box under the filter section with "users with an exchange inbox" and that should suffice... except like in the instance i told you about above, in which case i would query for users with an email address that exist.

that is how QBD groups are designed to work. the list will always change depending on the results of the query. QBDG rule.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

I'll check that.

Just to point out, if you are using the group for permissions as well, then a Query based group isn't really suitable. Personally I like to have a single group with all users in it (either specifically or as members of smaller groups) that is static, so I can use the group for permissions as well. There are many cases where I will use the "All Staff" equivalent instead of Everyone, so that I have more control over the permissions. I actually tend to run my sites with two specific groups - the All Staff and a Denied Access, and when permissions are set, the Denied Access group is denied access to whatever it is.

With care, the All Staff group can manage itself. New sales person in London, add them to the London Sales group, which is a member of UK Sales, which is a member of Europe Sales, which is a member of Global Sales, which is a member of All Staff.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.