• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cmdlets for "send as" permission

Hi All,

I am wondering what's the difference between using

to grant "send as" .

Both commands have this option to give the "send as".

Do they give the same result?

I have done some research on the Net and I have found several places where they say that in order to give the "send as" permission to a UserA on UserB's mailbox you use the Add-adpermission cmdlet. And that's OK.

But if that's the way to do it, then why is there a "send as" option for the Add-mailboxpermission cmdlet? What is its purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Cmdlets for "send as" permission

Using the commands standalone (ie to just set Send As) either will do.
    However the duplication is there in case you are setting a series of permissions, not just Send As, all at once. Makes more efficient scripting if you can do multiple settings from one command rather than calling separate commands. There is quite a lot of duplication in Powershell for just that reason - it was created with scripting in mind.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Cmdlets for "send as" permission

As mentioned previously, you can use either command to add permissions to a mailbox.

I use the add-mailboxpermission en mass to give a specific user access to multiple existing mailboxes

but I use add-adpermission to give a new admin permission to the store, so he/she will have access to all existing mailboxes and any new mailboxes made in the storage group.

It really just depends what you want to do and also some people are more familar with one command or the other.