Problems Receiving Mail with Exchange Server 2007 and Outlook 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Receiving Mail with Exchange Server 2007 and Outlook 2007

Hello, just wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot an issue I'm having with an Exchange and Outlook setup. I've followed all the tutorials on this great site for having Exchange setup to send and receive internet mail. I have successfully confirmed that sending mail is working. However I cannot for the life of me get the receive portion to work. Again I've set everything up per the tutorial. I'm using EasyDNS for my DNS services, and my MX record is identifying my server with port 125 for all mail receipt. I've telnetted to that port both outside and inside the network and confirmed that it is an SMTP service on this port. But for some reason any e-mails I send to my e-mail address do not get to me. One thing that I did notice is when doing a Send/Receive on the Outlook Client it seems to hang at 97% for alittle bit and then finishes up. When I had this system setup with Exchange Server 2003 and Outlook 2007, it just seemed to process much quicker. This little anomaly seems to happen on all clients. As well, I don't know whether this plays a part in this or not, but when the send and receive takes place on the clients, there is one line for Microsoft Exchange - Sending, but the next line just says Microsoft Exchange and I believe before it said "- Receiving". Any help or potential direction would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Re: Problems Receiving Mail with Exchange Server 2007 and Outlook 2007

I'm having the exact same problem! I setup an Exchange Server 2007 on a Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise editions system. My ISP blocks outgoing email on SMTP port 25 so I have to use their smtp server, but that's fine. The problem is receiving. I don't have a static IP address so i use NO-IP for my dns. I'm able to remote desktop into my PC from the outside and even hit my web page but I just cannot receive any email. My MX Mail Exchangers seems to be setup correctly. Also, my permissions on the Receive connector I allowed Anonymous Users per an article I read if I want to use my Hub Transport Server to send/receive mail which I do. I went to dnsstuff.com and everything checked okay but it says it cannot find my mail server(s). Any help will be much appreciated.

Comment

Are you sure that port number is correct? 125 isn't valid, it needs to be port 25. You cannot use a different port if the MX records point to your server.

First thing I would do is verify if you can connect to port 25 from your network to the Exchange server, then from outside of your network. You can do that with telnet.

telnet mail.domain.com 25

There is always a chance the port is blocked somewhere.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Well I've verified that the mailbox is receiving the messages, but I can't seem to get Outlook to download these messages into the client Inbox. Really weird. If anyone knows how to get around this, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Comment

Are you able to see those messages thru the OWA feature?
          Did your AutoDiscovery process complete successfully when you first open your Outlook application?
          Regards,
          John

Comment

Thanks for the reply John. Unfortunately I haven't tried the OWA function. I haven't gotten that far to setting it up. The autodiscover worked perfectly when I first setup Outlook. I can send e-mail no problem, and it reaches its destination no problem. If I look at properties for my user mailbox in Exchange it confirms there are messages there. Very strange. Should I attempt to get OWA working and try it that way? If it works what does that indicate? I thought Outlook to Exchange would be a seamless setup. Seems to be alittle tricky. Thanks again for the help and let me know if there is anything else that can be checked. By the way, I've installed Outlook on the machine that contains the Exchange Server for testing purposes to make sure I can send and receive e-mail, so I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with it. Thanks.

Comment

OWA doesn't require any setup. It is part of Exchange.

http://server/owa

Certainly the first thing I would check - see if the messages can be seen in OWA.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Try to create another test mailbox on your Exchange 2007 server and see if it will behave the same way.
                Regards,
                John

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I think I've found my problem. I still haven't tried OWA but I have noticed eventid 4001 in Event Viewer related to the MSExchange System Attendant Mailbox. Not sure how to fix this though. Definitely seems like a MAPI issue though. Details are below. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

A transient failure has occurred. The problem may resolve itself in awhile. The service will retry in 56 seconds. Diagnostic information:

Cannot open mailbox /o=MACHNET/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=MACHSERVER/cn=Microsoft System Attendant.
                  Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionFailedTr ansientException: Cannot open mailbox /o=MACHNET/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=MACHSERVER/cn=Microsoft System Attendant. ---> Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionNetworkError: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make connection to the server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227)
                  Diagnostic context:
                  Lid: 10648 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Generating component: 2
                  Lid: 14744 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Status: 1753
                  Lid: 9624 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Detection location: 501
                  Lid: 13720 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Flags: 0
                  Lid: 11672 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: NumberOfParameters: 4
                  Lid: 8856 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[0]: Unicode string: ncacn_ip_tcp
                  Lid: 8856 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[1]: Unicode string: machserver.machnet.ca
                  Lid: 12952 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[2]: Long val: -1527653632
                  Lid: 15000 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[3]: Pointer val: 0x00000000033882F0
                  Lid: 19778
                  Lid: 27970 StoreEc: 0x80040115
                  Lid: 17730
                  Lid: 25922 StoreEc: 0x80040115
                  at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(St ring message, Int32 hresult, Int32 ec, DiagnosticContext diagCtx)
                  at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcConnection.Create(ConnectionCa che connectionCache, ExRpcConnectionCreateFlag createFlags, ConnectFlag connectFlags, String serverDn, String userDn, String user, String domain, String password, String httpProxyServerName, Int32 ulConMod, Int32 lcidString, Int32 lcidSort, Int32 cpid, Int32 cReconnectIntervalInMins, Int32 cbRpcBufferSize, Int32 cbAuxBufferSize)
                  at Microsoft.Mapi.ConnectionCache.OpenMapiStore(Strin g mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, ClientIdentityInfo clientIdentity, String userDnAs, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String applicationId)
                  at Microsoft.Mapi.ConnectionCache.OpenMailbox(String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, WindowsIdentity windowsIdentityAs, String userDnAs, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String applicationId)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePoo l.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean secondTry)
                  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePoo l.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean secondTry)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.ConnectionCachePoo l.OpenMailbox(String serverDn, String userDn, String mailboxDn, Guid mailboxGuid, Guid mdbGuid, Object identity, ConnectFlag connectFlag, OpenStoreFlag openStoreFlag, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Ini tialize(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, DelegateLogonUser delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Cre ateMailboxSession(LogonType logonType, ExchangePrincipal owner, DelegateLogonUser delegateUser, Object identity, OpenMailboxSessionFlags flags, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Ope nAsAdmin(ExchangePrincipal mailboxOwner, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString, Boolean useLocalRpc, Boolean ignoreHomeMdb)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.MailboxSession.Ope nAsAdmin(ExchangePrincipal mailboxOwner, CultureInfo cultureInfo, String clientInfoString)
                  at Microsoft.Exchange.Servicelets.SystemAttendantMail box.Servicelet.Work()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Comment

I assume you did that already, but I have to ask...
                    Did you try to just reboot your Exchange server?
                    What about Exchange Services? Are they all running? If you are going to restart Exchange services manually- make sure to start System Attendant service prior to Information Store.
                    Regards,
                    John

Comment

Thanks for the response John. I have indeed rebooted the Exchange Server several times. It is running on my domain controller. I'm now working on complete removal and reinstall. Will let you know how I make out. Thanks.

Comment

It is not recommended to have DC & Exchange on the same box. You should consider separating them if possible.
                        Regards,
                        John

Comment

I had this very same problem and here is what helped me:
                          You go into the mailbox properties and to email addresses. For some odd reason, it only had the local domain email address created. I had to add the @domain.com address in here in addition to the @domain.local.

Then it still didn't work until I reboot the MS Exchange System Attendant and all related services.

This is for MS Exchange 2007 SP0.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Comment

Mate, Did you check ExchangeSetupLog? I had the same error but, I could find the reason through this log. In my case, this problem caused due to authentication error(by not using right admin account for installing Exchange 2007). Uninstall of the mailbox role and installing with right account has solved problem.
                            Thanks,

Shridhar Bhat

MCITP-Enterprise Messaging Administrator,
                            MCSE:Messaging on 2003,
                            MCSE:Messaging on 2000,
                            ITIL

"Trying alone makes you perfect"

Comment

Working...
                            X