No announcement yet.

MX, SPF text and junk emails issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX, SPF text and junk emails issue

I do not know whether this question belongs to Exchange 2007.
    However I did not find a group for moving MX and SPF records.

We moved the email system of <mydomain>.com from Yahoo to an in house Exchange Server 2007(myexmail.<mydomain>.com).

<mydomain>.com is registered in
    We have changed the MX record and there is no problem receiving the message.

But when the message is sent out from the new Exchange Server (for example to users in yahoo and google)
    sometimes it goes to SPAM.

We have updated the SPF record in
    We have also tested the spf using this link and it works

Nslookup of myexmail.<mydomain>.com(our exchange server) gives correct IP 64.32.XXX.YYY.

But reverse lookup of 64.32.XXX.YYY takes us to our ISP provider.
    I tested this using the following reverse DNS lookup site.

64.32.XXX.YYY does not resolve to myexmail.<mydomain>.com but it resolves to my ISP's address.
    Is this reverse lookup an expected behavior?
    If it is ok then why does my emails I send end up in junk folders of the recepient?

MY SPF text
    v=spf1 ip4:64.32.XXX.YYY mx ~all

Please help.

Re: MX, SPF text and junk emails issue

SPF does not guarantee that your email will get through. The recipient could still mark it as spam. SPF is not a mechanism for ensuring that your email is not junked or marked as spam.

Read particularly the paragraph "The main benefit of SPF is to people whose e-mail addresses are forged in the Return-Paths..."

Depending on who your ISP is, a reverse lookup on your public IP address could resolve to them, or they could setup a PTR record so that it resolves to you. I can only comment on the ISPs in the UK and I'm not sure, but maybe you are not in the UK? (Here is where I encourage all of us here on this Petri forum to add their country into their user profile - it can often help with diagnosing some things)

So you may need to get local advice about your ISP. For example, here in the UK the situation is different for BT and Demon. With BT you can ask for a PTR record because they issue all static IP addresses from a pool of dynamic ones, crazily, so to reverse properly they have to be asked to setup a PTR. But for Demon it is different. That is just one example, which may not apply to your ISP.
    Best wishes,
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008