Migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

I am going to deploy Exchange 2007 in our org pretty soon and wanted to get some Experts advice before I do that.

Here’s our current network setup:
    Exchange 2003 back-end server and Front-end server – sitting on the perimeter network.
    50 – users, ( with potential 50%growth in next couple of years). 20 of them – remote, most of the time using OWA.
    Single Domain, Two Domain Controllers running Win 2003 SP2– both are Global Catalog Servers.
    Forest, Domain Modes are 2003 native.
    Hardware Firewall.

The new setup that I am thinking to go with is below:
    Two Exchange 2007 servers with Windows 64 – bit Std. R2
    No edge transport server will be deployed.
    One Exchange server will have CAS and HUB transport roles, and another will have Mailbox and HUB transport role also.
    CAS will be located inside the network, not on the DMZ – this kind of concerns me, as mobile users will be accessing CAS server directly from the Internet? But I think that you have to have that server role deployed on your internal network as it has to communicate with the Mailbox server directly?
    I was also thinking to have just one server and put Mailbox, Hub, and CAS roles on it.
    But, I thought that there is going to be a lot of traffic from Mobile users accessing CAS server as it uses Direct Push technology and also for redundancy.
    Does the above setup looks OK?

Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    John

Re: Migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

It looks ok, on firewall open ports to the CAS/HT server as follow so OWA/pocketpc/IMAP/POP/SMTP work for users

Setup the port rules (in&out):
    Port 25 to 25 for both TCP and UDP.
    Port 465 to 465 for both TCP and UDP.
    Port 80 to 80 for both TCP and UDP.
    Port 443 to 443 for both TCP and UDP.
    Port 110 to 110 for both TCP and UDP.
    Port 993 to 993 for both TCP and UDP.
    Port 143 to 143 for both TCP and UDP.
    Port 995 to 995 for both TCP and UDP.

For 50 users you would not have to worry about the performance. A single server with 2x quad CPU and 4+ GB memory, local raid 10 or 5 HDD will do the job.
    Setup LCR if you can.
    Last edited by hyeongkim; 7th December 2007, 00:33. Reason: syntax error
    MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Comment

thanks for your reply hyeongkim... I thought that with Exchange 2007 CAS server role being inside the internal network you just need to have open ports 25 and 443 ?
      Regards,
      John

Comment

CAS is not supported in the DMZ. No Exchange server role other than Edge is. If you don't want users connecting directly to the Exchange server you will have to deploy an ISA server.

The ports that have been posted are incorrect, if you are going direct then you need 25 to hub and 443 to CAS (or the same server if that is where they are located).

Otherwise it seems fine.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

thanks for your reply Sembee... I think I will go with the direct connection to exchange. I guess with all these ports that you had to have open on the firewall for exchange 2003 front-end to work that was sitting in the DMZ, was not much more secure anyways. I'll be deploying new exchange this comming weekend... wish me luck...
          Regards,
          John

Comment

Working...
          X