Desperate need on this Holiday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate need on this Holiday

I have an Exchange 2007 server 40 miles from my main office. This weekend we were switching over to hosting our own e-mail. During this I realized I forgot to enter the license key, so proceeded to do so only to find out that the software sent by Dell was a retail disc, while I have a Volume License Key. I'm told by Microsoft that I have to reinstall Exchange to fix the problem. The real issue is that Exchange expires today. I realize it's my fault for waiting so long to enter the key. But the reality is that here I am stuck.

What I need to know is, can I backup Exchange 2007, install the VLK version, enter the key, then restore everything and make this seamless?

If so, what are the steps involved? I've been reading documents on TechNet, but want to get it from live people and not just read the "theory" of the process.

I hope someone is reading this stuff today....

Re: Desperate need on this Holiday

So you purchased Exchange from Dell and it came as a retail version? Did you not get a product key with the purchase?

Comment

What I purchased was a Volume Licensed version. I got the authorization form and license agreement from MS. I took that to the Eopen site, registered it, and got my key. The problem is that Dell sent me a retail disc instead of a Volume License version. I also could have downloaded the VL version, but at the time didn't realize there was a difference.

The bottom line is that I have a Retail install and a Volume License Key.

I'm downloading the ISO from MS right now for the proper installation, but I don't want to reconfigure all 43 mailboxes if I don't have to.

Comment

Well I have no specific experience with this scenario, but I would do three things:

1. Use exmerge to export all the email to pst files.
        2. Backup the Information Store(s).
        3. Try installing the VL version on top of the Retail version.

If it fails you can uninstall, reinstall, recreate the mailboxes, and import the email from the pst files into the appropriate mailboxes or try to restore the Information Store(s).

Comment

Thanks much for the reply. You've confirmed one thing I want to try. That is to install the VL version over the retail. I'm going to pray that works.

I'm in the process of backing up the Exchange setup from the system drive to the data drive using NT Backup.

I like your idea of using Exmerge but can't seem to find it. Is it part of a resource kit? I'll look for it while awaiting your response.

The other question I had - Will it be sufficient to backup the information stores, system state, and the folder in which Exchange was installed to retain everything?

Comment

Found Exmerge. Downloading it now.

Thanks!

Comment

I would backup the full computer, system state, and IS as one backup and then backup the IS again as a separate backup. That way you can try to only restore the IS if need be, and if it fails restore the entire machine and IS. Make sure you export the email first with Exmerge and in worst case scenario you start from scratch and import the pst files.

Comment

Got it.

I'm trying to get Exmerge to work right now. It's complaining about a dll... I'll figure it out.

Thanks for taking time on the holiday (assuming you're in the US) to help.

Comment

YW. Hope it all works out for you. The dll needed is exchmem.dll. You can copy it from the Exchsrvsr\bin directory to the directory where Exmerge is.

Comment

It's looking for dapi.dll. And after a bit more research I think I've discovered that Exmerge doesn't work on Exchange 2K7.

I think I'm going to have to deal with just backing up everything and trying an install over the old install.

Here goes nothing.

Comment

Cannot install over the current installatin. It goes into maintenance mode.

I've tried removing Exchange while leaving information store, but it won't let me because there are exisiting mailboxes.

I'm currently logging in to each account and manually creating a PST.

I cannot believe that MS would would leave out Exmerge. It seems like such a wonderful utility. They say it's in the works for Sp1... that does me no good right now.

Comment

WOW.

What a load of crap. Can someone please tell me the logical reason behind this function in Exchange 2K7?

WHY, when I select "Remove Mailbox" in Exchange, does the system delete the FRIGGING USER ACCOUNT AS WELL???

Anyone? I'd LOVE to hear this answer.

WTF could the justification for that possibly be?

Comment

That is pretty bizzarre. See if you can use ADRestore (download it from Microsoft) to restore the deleted user objects.

Comment

To get Exmerge to work on Exchange 2007 I think you have to run Exmerge on a different computer to the one that is running Exchange. MS don't support Exmerge for use with Exchange 2007, but I understand it can be made to work from a different PC.

More info here.
                            Best wishes,
                            PaulH.
                            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
                            X