Please Read: Significant Update Planned, Migrating Forum Software This Month

See more
See less

Exchange 2k7 licensing

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange 2k7 licensing

    Hi everyone,

    We currently use an SBS 2003 "Premium" edition. since the company is growing rapidly, I want to set up an exchange 2k7 on a member server which will replace the existing SBS-based E2k3sp2. the SBS itself will continue to function as our proxy server (ISA2k4) and SQL server.

    Do I need to purchase any special CALs (exchange CALs?) or just the server software itself? or, in other words - do SBS CALs cover the licensing needs of the network configuration I am planing?

  • #2
    Re: Exchange 2k7 licensing

    This is my understanding - but the only people who can confirm are Microsoft. Get in writing.

    As far as I am aware, SBS will only cover the SBS Server. If you want to use products on additional machines then you will either need to buy regular Windows CALs or a transition pack to convert SBS in to the full product.

    What I can with confidence is that you will have to buy Exchange CALs as well as Exchange 2007 license. The SBS CALs would never cover Exchange 2007 as it is a different version.
    Also note that Exchange 2007 CALs do not include licences for Outlook. If you have licenses for Office then you are fine, although they would have to be for Office 2007 for Outlook 2007. Otherwise you will have purchase Outlook licenses.

    The above should not be taken as official advice and you should speak to Microsoft.

    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

    More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

    Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.


    • #3
      Re: Exchange 2k7 licensing

      You will need to purchase both server and client licensing to cover the total amount of mailboxes needed. So 1 server license, unless you are doing clustering, then you'll need enterprise and multiple server licenses and total CALs. You also have to decide lso if you want CAL standard or enterprise licensing. For the CALs, the licensing is cumulative meaning to get to enterprise (is you need Unified Messaging, journaling, etc...) you need to purchase standard and add enterprise licensing on top of that.