No announcement yet.

Internal and External SSL cert?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal and External SSL cert?

Is it possible to create a internal and external cert for ssl? What i'm trying to do is set up outlook anywhere and it needs a cert that is created properly.

Re: Internal and External SSL cert?

You can certainly create your own internal cert using a Window CA or selfssl from the Resource Kit utilities. I have a Windows Enterprise CA in my home that issues certificates.

The issue that comes in to play is that it is not a publically trusted cert. Depending on where and how you use it, it may be rejected by others who are being cautious.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+ - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

As has been discussed and mentioned many times in this Forum, a "real" SSL Certificate is often the best solution. is a cheap certificate for what you need if the self made one causes problems.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

I am currently deploying Exchange 2007 with two SSL certificates.
        The default certificate that the installation process creates is left on the default web site, a second site is then created and a new commercial SSL certificate is then applied to that.

I blogged on this earlier in the year:

The reason I am doing that is because a certificate that supports the multiple names required costs something like US$500 a year, when I can get two certificates plus the home grown certificate for less than US$75 a year.

The drawback is that if you want to use and a friendly URL for OWA (, etc) then you need two external IP addresses.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.