No announcement yet.

Help deploying in a 2k Native with a 2k and 2k3 DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help deploying in a 2k Native with a 2k and 2k3 DC

I am having trouble installing Exchange 2k7 in a domain with 1 Windows 2000 SP4 and 1 Windows 2003 SP1 Domain controller. Isn't 2007 supposed to work as long as the domain is 2000 Native or higher and at least 1 2k3 domain controller?
    I have moved all of the FSMO roles to the 2003 DC in hopes that would cure it but no such luck.
    Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Domain Controller '' Operating System version is 5.0 (2195) Service Pack 4. The minimum version required is 5.2 (3790)Service Pack 1.
    Anyone had this error when a Windows 2003 server was present? (yes i know this next part is not a good idea) I was able to run /PrepareLegacyExchangePermissions, /PrepareSchema, etc. by shutting down the 2k DC before running them. Shutting down the 2k DC before going through the GUI installation doesn't help 1 iota.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful info someone can provide.

Re: Help deploying in a 2k Native with a 2k and 2k3 DC

Hello you mihgt want to check your SM and GC, if they are still on 2k server you want to move them.

Here is the article I used...hopefull this will help

"One of the bigger requirements is that Exchange 2007 requires the domain functional level to be at Windows 2000 native mode. On top of that Exchange 2007 also requires that the Schema master and the Global Catalog servers run Windows Server 2003 with SP1 applied. It goes without saying that you also need a functional DNS infrastructure in place. If you are installing Exchange 2007 into an existing organization, the Exchange mode must be set to native-mode. This means no Exchange 5.5 servers anywhere in the Exchange organization. If you still have any Exchange 5.5 servers, you will need to upgrade them to Exchange 2000/2003 or remove them completely before proceeding with the installation of Exchange 2007."

MCP, MCSA+messaging, MCDBA, OCA.

Re: Help deploying in a 2k Native with a 2k and 2k3 DC

Lots of people are coming up with this problem.

There are two parts to the fix.

Part one is to use the domain controller switch in setup.exe. This forces setup to look to a specific domain controller and allows you to specify a Windows 2003 DC.

However what you cannot control is the global catalog that setup will use. Therefore the only way round that (part two) is to make it so that your Windows 2003 machines are the only global catalog domain controllers - the Windows 2000 DC is not a GC.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.