Edge to 2000/2003 with no Hub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge to 2000/2003 with no Hub

We have several 2000/2003 exchange servers in our organization on separate domains. We have been holding off on implementing a bridgehead server until 2007 was released. Now that it is out we would like to implement 2-2007 bridgehead servers (for fault tolerance). We will eventually upgrade our 2000 and 2003 servers and those server will assume the hub transport role for each domain, but the first step is to get a proper bridgeheads in place. The question is: can a 2007 edge transport server communicate with 2000/2003 servers without a hub transport server?

If this works our plan is to install two servers with Edge transport and then use connectors to have all of our exchange servers send/receive mail to those two servers. Using Address re-write we can maintain a unified look to all outgoing email. Because all of our separate domains are separate business units they can then choose to upgrade at their own schedule.

Re: Edge to 2000/2003 with no Hub

You need Hub Transport servers deployed in order to install Edge.
    Edge servers need to talk to Hub in order to get the required info sourced for Edge functionality.
    No Hub = no Edge, sorry...
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

So is there anyway of deploying address re-write on a hub server?
      It is looking like we may be better off going with a 2003 bridgehead...

Comment

Originally posted by nealio View Post
        So is there anyway of deploying address re-write on a hub server?
        It is looking like we may be better off going with a 2003 bridgehead...
        postfix ? sendmail ?
        As far as I know, you can't without writing some custom transport agent.
        Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Thanks for your Help.

One other question, how does one share a namespace with other servers in 2007 that arent in our forest?

In 2003 on the recipient policy tab, there was that nice little check box that said "this exchange organization is responsible for all delivery to this address". If you unchecked that and had a connector to another server it routed mail to the other server. How do I do the same thing in 2007?

Sorry...still trying to get familiar with 2007...

Comment

1) Configure the shared address space as "External Relay" instead of "Authoritative" in the "Accepted Domains" tab in the Org->Hub section.

2) Create SMTP connector for the shared address space to route the addresses not found in the forest to Exchange servers in the other forest that share the namespace (just like in E2K3)

If there is a user with SMTP address from the shared namespace, it will be delivered locally, otherwise the message will be routed through the connector

Done
            Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Is it just me or does this seem far too simple. I just did it and it works great! I dont have a third server to throw at this lab right now, but what happens when I throw a third server into the mix? (and a fourth and a fifth). All share the namespace but are on different domains (in different cities). Do I setup separate send connectors or do I just add to the list of smart hosts?

For anyone reading this down the road, the trick is to make sure the domain is not set to authorative in accepted domains. Once I set it to an internal relay the mail began to flow...

Comment

Nealio, a little but have you considered setting up a third machine using Virtual PC or VMWare. It might run a bit slow but you would get first hand experience with that configuration and allow you to play.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Actually came in this morning and started on the virtual server route. Just hoping someone would say "sure it will work just great, we do it over at our shop" so I dont have to waste any more time on the lab and can get on to the build...
                  So long as I know it works I can move on with it.

I have one more question seeing as we are going down rabbit trails. In Exchange 2007 if i have contoso.com, subdomainb.contoso.com and subdomaina.contoso.com, what do the users in the subdomains see in their GAL? They get the all 3 right? Is there any way of blocking subdomainb's list from Subdomaina?

Comment

Working...
                  X