X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Exchange Server to new Building

Hi,

Exchange 2003, Server 2003
    We are going to be moving to a new building next week, and I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to prevent our domain from being unreachable once i unplug the server. Nobody will be able to e-mail us for a good few hours while the server is shutdown in one building, transported to new building, and then set back up.

Is there any way to avoid people getting undeliverables when they mail us during that time?

Thanks,

J

Re: Moving Exchange Server to new Building

I guess you're able to keep the same public IP, right? If not you'll have to wait for DNS propagation as well.

Most mail servers will attempt to deliver an email for a couple of days (I think Exchange's default is 2 days) so if anybody sends emails to you it'll probably sit on their SMTP server until you get your machines up and running again. During that time they may get a delay report...
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the response,

Unfortunately we arent able to bring the IP's over with us. So there will absolutely be some downtime while the DNS records update. Do you think that will cause an undeliverable, or will the messages still sit in their ques until they can resolve our domain?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Comment

Well they say that it takes up to 48 hours for propagation but if they're relatively close (1 - 500 mi.) they should get the updated info in just a few hours.

EDIT - Why not create an A record for your new public IP like mail2.domain.com and then configure an additional MX record with a lower priority (higher number) pointing to the newly created A record. Then the only downtime should be when you disconnect the server for moving. Clean up the DNS when you finished.
        Last edited by JeremyW; 25th August 2006, 01:33.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Also you can sign up for a Mail rescue type service that will hold you email till your server is back up. They usually hold it for a week or two. It is good to have anyway, just is case of a serious issue with your email server.
          They set it up very similar to what Jeremy said....
          I happen to use mail rescue from DNS Park. Always worked perfectly, once when we moved buildings, and once, well, it was bad.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
          X