No announcement yet.

Exchange SP2 and push email

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange SP2 and push email

We are looking at getting a couple of MDA pro's and will connect to the exchange server for email. I understand that ExSP2 has a push email system, has anybody had any experience with this, I'm told its a cheaper option than the device syncing manually, also do the emails continuously deliver to the device like a blackberry (which we dont want, ) or is the terminology "push" only representitive of the technology involved. We dont want users getting "beeps" every time they get a email, rather we want them to "ask".

Re: Exchange SP2 and push email

"Push mail" is becoming pretty common, but the requirement is that the device supports it. You need a Windows Mobile device that includes the MSFP (Microsoft Security Feature Pack) that adds the support for the Exchange 2003 SP2 features. A customer of mine just bought a bunch of the new Motorola Q phones, but they do not have the MSFP features.
    Here is a good link on the MSFP:

Here is another link that is helpful, too:

Jim McBee, Exchange MVP
    Blog -

I implemented it with Nokia 9300i's running "Roadsync" software (Symbian 80) You can configure on the phone immediate, 15 mins , 1hr or on demand. Works fine on them - I use IMF (also in EX SP2) which stops spam getting to the phone.

In this scenario it sounds like the push functionality isn't really of any value.
        You can change the device to sync on demand instead of on schedule or as items arrive. The problem you will have is enforcing that, as unlike the Blackberry there is no concept of policies for the Windows Mobile device.

Where the MSFP upgrades on the phone will come in useful is for GAL lookup, which was previously an optional extra but is now integrated.

From a cost point of view, it will be cheaper to sync manually - on demand. The device hasn't got to keep the connection to home live to see if messages have arrived. The actual transport mechanism - how the messages get to the device - will not change. Although there will be very little cost difference as the keep alive traffic is very small.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.