Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange and mx records

hello all
    first mister petri, let me tell you that i passed my first NT4 mcps thanks to your excellent previous site...
    i'm now 2000 certified but you've helped a lot.
    for now, i'm in trouble with an exchange server, my first one, i just configured.
    so:
    my local domain name, i named it (i thought it was smart) myfirstname.mine.nu
    as i registered in dyndns.org with that name.
    and i guess it's a mistake...
    my local dns works fine, nslookup too, i installed internet mail send and receive in exchange; nice to meet you it told me, everything is just fine.
    i created an mx record in myfirstname.mine.nu dns zone and i think it is then a LOCAL MX record
    and there is no way for what i know to give it an external ip address.
    So, just like everybody, i can send nice mail via outlook but don't receive any AND when i send mail to my address from an external provider, it doesn't even tell me anything such as delivery failure and why...
    Maestro, do I have to format and reinstall the whole stuff ?
    Catrine
    sorry, i'm french so english isn't my native language, i did my best

Re: exchange and mx records

Originally posted by bloue
    my local domain name, i named it (i thought it was smart) myfirstname.mine.nu as i registered in dyndns.org with that name.
    Create the MX record on the dyndns.org server. Dyndns.org does not support zone delegation so you'll be unable to create an authoritative record such as an MX record.

Originally posted by bloue
    sorry, i'm french so english isn't my native language, i did my best
    No problem, not everyone speaks English.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

MX ans exchange AND port 25

Thank you for answering maestro
      it was a goot tip but i forgot to tell you i'd done that already.
      Now, what i forgot was to open the port 25 on my router, and it now works like a charm.
      Might help somebody else.
      Glad you're still on the net.
      Catrine

Comment

No problem, glad you got it fixed.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Troubleshooting tips

When troubleshooting inbound/outbound mail, I suggest the following:

1.) Use TELNET (server IP address) 25
          This will test the channel - if the firewall is setup wrong, NAT isn't working, etc. this test will reveal this. If you can TELNET OK inside but not OUTSIDE, the issue is with the firewall/router. If it doesn't work on the inside, check the services on the mail server.

2.) Take a look at the the outside world sees as the MX record. I like to use http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php. This will verify DNS setup.

Comment

Troubleshooting tips

When troubleshooting inbound/outbound mail, I suggest the following:

1.) Use TELNET (server IP address) 25
            This will test the channel - if the firewall is setup wrong, NAT isn't working, etc. this test will reveal this. If you can TELNET OK inside but not OUTSIDE, the issue is with the firewall/router. If it doesn't work on the inside, check the services on the mail server.

2.) Take a look at the the outside world sees as the MX record. I like to use http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php. This will verify DNS setup.

Comment

Working...
            X