Disable email from the internet for email-enabled Public Folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable email from the internet for email-enabled Public Folders

I'm currently trying to justify how many email addresses our Exchange server currently hosts. The reason is that we are trying to work out how many user lisences we need for our new Anti-Spam software (Policy Patrol) but the problem is that we have user, public folder and distribution group email addresses and that turns out to be a lot of licenses.

My question is regarding mail-enabled Public Folders. If I can tweak Exchange 2003 so that emails from the internet are not delivered to these Public Folders, but still retain the internal sending ability (my users send emails and calendar events to 54 Public Folders) then this will reduce my license count considerably.

Can this be done? Can it also be done for some (not all) distribution groups? Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Disable email from the internet for email-enabled Public Folders

OTTOMH, could you do it through address policies, so PFs only have email addresses on the internal network (domain.local) rather than on the external network (domain.com)

You would need to have separate recipient policies for your internal and external networks.

OK, checking the filter rules for recipient policies allows you to exclude Public Folders so it looks a good possibility

You could then add individual external addresses for folders which need them.

Hope this helps
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Disable email from the internet for email-enabled Public Folders

You could also configure those Public Folders and Dist. groups to only accept mail from authenticated users.
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X