No announcement yet.

Remote Mail/Calendar Sync

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Mail/Calendar Sync

We currently run an Exchange 2000 server and two win 2k DC's on a small DMZ on it's own Domain. The servers are behind a Cisco Pix firewall and vpn, remote access / secure webmail is setup and working.

I have a requirement to try and figure out a way of sync'ing a users mailbox / calendar /contacts etc at the office with the users mailbox at home without having to go through via the vpn and actually seeing what exists and not actually sync'ing to the home email application. I believe things like this are possible via third party tools with macintosh's for example by using something called .Mac to sync data via both places, but how would this work via the pix box? and is there anyway this could be setup for two Windows machines?

I'm trying to get my head round it myself so sorry if any of this doesn't make much sense!

Any comments welcome

Re: Remote Mail/Calendar Sync

Do you mean something like RPC over HTTP?
    Last edited by biggles77; 10th August 2006, 22:13.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

This cannot be done on Exchange 2000 without a VPN.

If you don't want to use a VPN you would have to expose the Exchange server to the internet. This is rather a stupid thing to do, as it would be compromised in about 20 minutes.
      It wouldn't work anyway, as it would need to access port 135 over the internet, which most ISPs block (for very good reason).

Therefore you have two main options.

1. OWA
      2. Upgrade to Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 in a at least a Windows 2003 domain. Use Outlook 2003 on a Windows XP SP2 machine and use RPC over HTTPS.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thanks for your comments, I didn't think it'd be possible, and upgrading to 2K3 server / Exchange 2K3 is not an option at the moment, so they cant use RPC over HTTP.

Back to the drawing board then....