Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• implementing mailbox limits

Hi,

We are running Exchange Server 2003 and I'd like to implement mailbox limits. Two questions before I do. I've searched petri.com and other web sites without success

1) What happens if a user is currently over the limit that I set? I'm assuming that he just gets a "mailbox full" message next time he fires up outlook but I'd like to be sure there are no other issues.

2) Is there any simple way of getting a list of all users with their current mailbox size?

Thanks.

Re: implementing mailbox limits

I'll have to check but I think Exchange will send out at regular intervals messages to all users who are approaching or have reached their limits. So you should be able to implement size restrictions and any user over the limit should receive a warning.

As for the list, will ESM do?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks. That's exactly what I wanted. I'd been through the ESM tree earlier but just couldn't find it.

Thanks very much

Comment

You can also add more culumns, and even export it to CSV > Excel.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

IIRC there is an option to warn users but not block emails. This might be a good thing to turn on at first. There is also a "bock outgoing but not incoming" option

Toml
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW

As for the list, will ESM do?
            As Daniel said a few posts above you can add a 'Mailbox limits' colume that will show whether each mailbox is below the limit, send mail disabled or send / receive disabled.

As for the main question. You can set three different types of limits:

1. Warning - This will issue the user which a warning once they get to XXmb in size. By default the mails are send out every night at 12:00 (I think) but this is configurable

2. Disable Send - This will disable the user the ability to send any mail at XXmb in size.

3. Disable Send / Recieve - This will disable the users ability to send / receive at XXmb in size.

The best way to configure this would be to use a mailbox store policy and configure the 'Limit's' tab and then assign it to as many mailbox stores as you wish (Depending if you have more than one)

You may also want to look into Mailbox management if your users are not very good at managing their mailbox

Hope this helps

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

One thing I will add is to remember that most restrictive wins with limits. So if you set the global limit at 100mb then that is the most anyone would able to go to.

Restrict down, don't open up.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Guys,

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this. I exported the report to a csv file and loaded it into Excel. Emailed same to my manager noting who is currently above proposed limit. Issues now are political.

(Michael, are there any users anywhere that are good at managing their mailboxes?)

Comment

Originally posted by gsaint

(Michael, are there any users anywhere that are good at managing their mailboxes?)
                  Yes, system admins and Exchange Experts! We manage by overriding default limits

Seriously, start educating your users in good practices -- it gets you away from your desk and you never know who you could meet
                  Last edited by Ossian; 10th August 2006, 08:25.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X