Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• email vanishing from inbox

Hi,

we are running Windows Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003. Several users at a branch office connect to Exchange via OWA. At this branch one, and only one, user has reported that his received email is vanishing from his inbox.

I sent the user an email, fired up IE, logged in as him and checked the mail was there. I logged off, waited about an hour, logged back in and the message was gone. I repeated the test later with the same result.

The messages are not in his deleted items or junk email folders or anywhere else that I can see. His profile settings all look stock standard.

I'm assuming I need to check the server but as I am a newbie when it comes to Exchange I don't know where to start.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed.

Re: email vanishing from inbox

Just a thought:
    He doesnt have a PST file as the "deliver mail to" option in Outlook?

I can't test it right now but IIRC this causes messages to move from the Exchange inbox to the PST, so dropping off from OWA.

Try (for Outlook 2003)
    TOOLS-ACCOUNTS
    View or change existing...
    Check Deliver New Email is set to "Mailbox - User Name"

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also try to create a new OL profile. Another thing to try is to run OL with the /cleanrules switch to delete any server-side and client-side rules that might have gone bad.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, Daniel, but I'm confused. I can't find anywhere in OWA where a user can specify to send data to a pst file.

And as for running OL with /cleanrules do I do this on the client machine or the exchange server?

Comment

Does the user have a local PST file on his workstation?
          /cleanrules Hope that helps.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

I sent the user detailed instructions to search for *.pst and outlook.exe on his machine. He tells me both searches turned up nothing

Comment

Mmmm, I have done a search before and it found no PST but the file WAS sitting on the machine. Try sending him the path to follow but remember it is in a hidden folder and the default setting hides it. (Hope that makes sense to you, I'm a bit tired)
              C:\Documents and Settings\accountname\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Gee, I am dozy today. Outlook.Exe MUST be on his machine if he is using Outlook. Ask him to turn on Remote Desktop so you can pay him a "visit" personally.
              Last edited by biggles77; 8th August 2006, 00:40.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by gsaint
                Hi,

Sorry, Daniel, but I'm confused. I can't find anywhere in OWA where a user can specify to send data to a pst file.

And as for running OL with /cleanrules do I do this on the client machine or the exchange server?

Sorry, I missed the fact that it's a OWA issue. Nevertheless, there might be some rouge server-side rules that could use a cleaning up.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Have you checked the recepient policy for a mailbox manager setting. it might be managing the mailbox and deleting emails as part of its policy.

Just a thought.

Richard

Comment

HI Richie,

As far as I can see there is no policy set up.

Digging further, according to MSE there are 130 items in this mailbox. But if I logon as the user and go to OWA I find 3 items in Deleted, 3 in Inbox and 55 in Sent for a total of 61. All other folders are empty.

Comment

Sometimes people drag items to the root of their inbox or to other, non-mail folders (such as the calendar and so on). Try playing with the views in Outlook.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

gsaint

You say you are getting these probs with the OWA, have you used OUTLOOK as a client to log into the user to ensure the views are the same.

Richard

Comment

The most common reasons for email disappearing in my experience...

- views
                          - auto archive
                          - email being delivered to a pst file
                          - something else accessing the mailbox. This could be Outlook Express, a PDA etc.
                          - someone deleting the email (in error or on purpose). The "someone" could be another user with permissions to the mailbox.

If you have reason to believe that something else is accessing the mailbox, the quickest way to flush them out is to change the password on the account. If there is another application accessing the mailbox then it will lock the account out on the bad password.

Simon.
                          --
                          Simon Butler
                          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                          X