Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 5.5 Clustering

Hi guys,
    May I know if OWA is supported under Exchange 5.5 clustering?

Sort of...

OWA requires a webserver and in order to cluster a webserver you don't use a "typical" cluster where processing is divided among the cluster memebers - you use a Network Load Balancing cluster which employs a round robin [circular queue] approach to requests. The issue here is that in order to take advantage of the cluster the Exchange database would either A. need to be replicated across all cluster members, or B. be stored on a dedicated machine off the cluster - and the cluster would then reference this data.

B would probably be the best option but then again it wouldn't allow the benefit of a cluster. Unless the machine external to the NLB cluster was itself a typical cluster whose members make up the exchange server.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Mmm...looks more like I misunderstood the Microsoft's term. Can I safely say that OWA is still possible but do not expect "clustered OWA" in Exchange 5.5? I have not set up a typical FE/BE OWA server. Very much appreciated if you can provide me some useful links on setting up a typical FE/BE OWA Server. Thanks a lot man, I noted your contribution to this forum, keep up the good work.

Cheers,
      Ray

Comment

To my knowledge [check cluster.doc on the Exchange CD] when clustering Exchange 5.5 OWA isn't supported.

That doesn't mean you can't cluster OWA however.

Here are some links...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=8...Q&S=F&

http://www.winnetmag.com/MicrosoftEx...548/15548.html
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X