Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I set ValidPorts for RPC?

Hello,

I have read the document "Configure RPC over HTTP on Exchange 2003 (Single Server Scenario"

And also the Microsoft doc "Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 RPC over HTTP Deployment Scenarios"

It was unclear to me on the part
    "Configure the RPC proxy server to use specific ports"
    - I am using a single Exchange Server acting as both front-end and back-end
    - I have other servers serving as Domain Controllers (GC's)
    In the document, it is said this is possible; but how should I set for the ports 6001, 6002 and 6004? In the examples, they all referred to that the Exchange server is also the GC.

Thank you
    David

Re: How should I set ValidPorts for RPC?

David

Join the club, i've been struggling to get RPC/HTTPs running for over a week now, I to have a similar set up as you, Single server, remote GC. Among all the articles i read i think somewhere it said to put an entry in the validports key like this

netbiosglobalcatservername;6001:FQDNglobalcatserve rname;6001....etc you know the format

Dont know if the GC would need anything though

I could be wrong, so if any one has any other input i and David would be grateful.

Regards

Richard

Comment

David, have you read this article?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

David

To my surprise i have managed to get this working on my setup. I had to wait till a sunday to test settings on our system so i could troubleshoot the HTTPS connection from the lan first. I couldn't get it working on the lan with tweaks to the valid ports entry so i resett the tcpip filtering and rebooted, to my surprise it then worked from external... dont ask me why, and i dont purport to know exactly what change made it worked but its working now so i'm not touching it.

I think it needs a reboot after the registy changes in order to make it work. How i wish i had a test domain, trying to implement this on a live system is arkward.

If you want to drop me an email, i'll go through specific settings and configs to help you get working as i think your setup is similar to mine. I'll then post a breakdown on my thread after.

regards

Comment

Sorry got out sync for a few days. Just received my Moto Q; so spend the whole weekend setting up the OMA instead.

Biglos77, that is the document I read (as well as the MS doc for deployment scenarios).

Richie, I will try to point port 6001 to my GC server; and reboot the server to see how it works.

Thanks
          David

Comment

This may be worth reading.

Davidchan, I can't find the MS article just now but I was sure that Exchange Server has to be a GC. I will post the link when I find it.

Richie, you wish you had a Test Lab so you could test it before going live? How about setting up a Virtual Lab? Look in the Virtual Forums for more info.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77

Davidchan, I can't find the MS article just now but I was sure that Exchange Server has to be a GC. I will post the link when I find it.
              But this Exchange Server is a member server (if I read post 1 right) therefore cannot be a GC
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Biggles - in my setup the exchange server IS NOT a GC so it is possible, but i get the impression that if it IS a GC things work easier, however that would make the Exchange Server a DC which is not recomended. catch 22

Am now looking into virtual server stuff so will start looking in that group, - thanks

David, not just port 6001, but 6002, 6004 as well

Richard

Comment

Search of these forums found these threads about the topic.

Also, do not try and dcpromo the Exchange server. 'Tis not a good idea according to one extremely knowledgable poster.

And the link I couldn't find has been modified by Microsoft until it looks nothing like it originally did. (It also is in the above links)
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Changing the role of an Exchange server once Exchange has been installed is not supported.
                    If the server was a domain controller at the point of installation, it must stay a domain controller. Similarly if the machine was a member server then it must stay a member server.
                    If you want to change the role you have to remove Exchange first.

It tends to break OWA and some parts of public folders.

It is always a good idea to have Exchange on a member server anyway, then you aren't tied to a single machine for domain information.

For RPC over HTTPS to work, you must have at least one Windows 2003 global catalog domain controller. The registry settings for the DC are very limited...

Location:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Services\NTDS\Parameters
                    Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
                    Name: NSPI Interface protocol sequences
                    Value: ncacn_http:6004

There appear to be various opinions on the correct format for the registry settings. If you want yet another opinion, then you could take a look at my web site: http://www.amset.info/exchange/rpc-http-server.asp

I use those settings on all deployments that I carry out and they haven't failed for me yet.

Simon.
                    --
                    Simon Butler
                    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                    X