Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding internal domain name

Hi,

Sorry for all the queries but I have started using exchange on my test network rather vigerously.

When telnetting to port 25 on my exchange box (Via a linux host out on the internet after discovering my router doesn't like traffic leaving my network bound for my next work) I get a responce from my server which includes the FQDN (NAXMS01.domainname.local) This is exposing my domain name to the internet which I would rather not have. I would rather it respond with NAXMS01.domainname.co.uk)

Is this how it works or is this the same for everyone - Can it only display the FQDN of the server??

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Hiding internal domain name

In EMS go to the smtp virtual server go to the properties. Click the Delivery tab -> Advanced button -> fill out the FQDN for the virtual server.

Hope your poking around is fun!!
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
      In EMS go to the smtp virtual server go to the properties. Click the Delivery tab -> Advanced button -> fill out the FQDN for the virtual server.

Hope your poking around is fun!!
      Cheers Jeremy, I just found out and was coming to reply back. It works a treat.

Only problem is when I enter my FQDN and check DNS it says the DNS name is not valid. I assume this is because I dont have that zone configured on my domain.

But it works anyways

Exchange is really quite interesting when you start using it properly. Been on it 3hrs solid and I aint bored yet

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
        Only problem is when I enter my FQDN and check DNS it says the DNS name is not valid. I assume this is because I dont have that zone configured on my domain.
        Yup, this is right. But you can configure Exchange to use another (e.g. external) DNS server(s) than what is specified in the TCP/IP properties.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
          Yup, this is right. But you can configure Exchange to use another (e.g. external) DNS server(s) than what is specified in the TCP/IP properties.
          Yeah, I have configured my exchange box to use my ISP's DNS server but still says it's not valid. Maybe I need to restart the routing engine service??

I'll give that a try

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

The failure of the CheckDNS is normal and can be ignored.

The only time it becomes a problem is when you have multiple Exchange servers and are using routing groups and routing group connectors.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
            X