No announcement yet.

how to configure front and back-end server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to configure front and back-end server

Hi guys,

I have one exchange 2003 (X) with windows 2003 server enterprise edition. This server is behind ISA 2004. Also, OWA, OMA and RPC are ruining on exchange 2003 and all these services are published within ISA 2004.

Now I have to configure a new server (Y) with windows server enterprise edition + exchange 2003 as back-end exchange server.

Now if I installing exchange 2003 in (Y) and configure the (X) server as front-end and (Y) as back-end and I moved the mail box from the front-end server (X) to back-end (Y). !!! then dose the OWA, OMA and RPC work without any problem or I have to do some configuration in the new server. OWA, OMA and PRC took me a long time to configure and I don't want to do the configuration all over again.

So basically My questions ?

1- Well my services will be affected when I moved the mail box from the server X to server Y.
    2- What is the best way to configure front and back-end server.

Re: how to configure front and back-end server

I can't say for 100% that your configuration won't be effected by this move. You need to follow Microsoft's whitepapers on this (search TechNet and/or Google).

Make sure that you replicate the PFs (don't forget the System PFs!). If OWA/OMA/RPC over HTTP are using a Digital Certificate for SSL (and they should be using SSL) then make sure you export it and import in on the new server (and/or ISA, depending on your configuration). Make sure all FW rules are configured properly and that ISA published the new server.

There might be more, these came off the top of my head. As I said, read MS's documentation and make sure you have a good backup and that you can roll back in case of trouble.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services