Multiple mailboxes for the same user, need to combine into one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple mailboxes for the same user, need to combine into one

I've got a problem with a recent install of Exchange that's been done in our organization. I don't know how it's happened but we have an Active Directory user account named g.spicer and 3 mailboxes in exchange all named g.spicer. Each of the three has something in it but he is obviously only connected to one of the three, i would like to know what the best way is to go about getting the data off the other two and consolidating it all into one without, if possible, disconnecting him from his existing mailbox and re-connecting to the others in turn to copy the info off into PST's. Two of the three mailboxes are marked with red X's in System Manager as they are not connected but i can't connect them to other users as i get an error message stating that the LegacyDN Name is already in use. Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Jonno

Re: Multiple mailboxes for the same user, need to combine into one

Jonno

It seems that the user g.spicer has had his exchange atribs removed (which red crosses the mailstore) then the user is re-enabled for exchange. this then creates anothe mail store. this appears to have been done 3 times to create 2 red crossed stores and on current.

A couple of suggestions.

1, log on to g.spicer account and move all exchange mail to a local pst. go to AD users and Comp and remove the exchange attribs from the user. this will red cross the mail box. you can then safely delete THIS mailbox. Select One of the redcrossed other mail stores and reconnect to the g,spicer user. do the same again. Repeat for the last. you should have then all the mail from all the mailstores. you may want to create some other storage groups and move the mailstores apart as you may not be able to tell one from the other.

2, Haven't done it for a while and dont know if it works with unconnected mailstores, but you could try the exmerge utility to create pst's from them

regards and good luck.

richard

Comment

Brilliant cheers for the suggestion, managed to restore an online backup to the test lab at work, use exmerge to combine then copied to a pst and back to the live environment.

Comment

Good suggestion Richie and thanks Jonno_2 for posting back letting us know the fix worked.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Jonno

If you are using Exchange 2K3, you didn't need to restore to test lab as ex 2K3 allows for a Recovery storage group in the live environment. You could have restored to this place and done it from there.

Glad all turned out well

Comment

Working...
          X