urgent: problem with ost and roaming profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent: problem with ost and roaming profiles

Recently did re-configuration of the win2003 sbs with exchange. The workstations are win xp with office 2003. All the users have roaming profile and exchange account in outlook 2003.
    PRoblem is that when a user want to connect from another workstation with his profile and opens outlook 2003, he gets an error that outlook cannot find the .ost file in the c:\documents and settings\roger\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.ost. This is the file that was created in roger workstation when his exchange account was created but he is logging from peter computer with his roaming profile so why it is searching the file in roger computer. This thing is happening with every user. All other things in the profiles are fine except the exchange account.
    Its urgent so any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Rsin
    Ability to perform, From Dusk till Dawn.
    Experience is what u get, when u expect something else..

Re: urgent: problem with ost and roaming profiles

You have outlook running in cache mode and (I think) by default with roaming profiles it does not copy the local settings folder in the users profile within documents and settings because the .ost file can get pretty big depending on how much mail the user has. **EDIT - THe .ost file is a local copy of the users mailbox used in offline / cache mode - for your reference**

Simply remove the option for outlook to use cache mode from STRAT-> Control Panel -> mail -> profile and edit the exchange account and untick "Use outlook in cache mode"

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply but it didn't help.
      By disabling cache mode, when i logged in to another pc with roger account, the outlook configuration window appeared for creating an email account for roger.
      Is there something in GPO in win 2003 sbs, which might be enabling the cache mode?. Is cache mode disabled/enabled in GPO by default?? where to check this GPO in win 2003 sbs.

Rsin

Comment

What "re-configuration of the win2003 sbs with exchange" did you do?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Did you disable cache mode via the mail profiles option in control panel and logoff the workstation (So it saves the profile back to the server)??

Is the roaming profile working fine??

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The server crashed bcz of hard disk failure so I reinstalled win 2003 sbs and configured AD, DNS and exchange exactly the same way as it was before.
            Than I had to rejoin all the workstation to the domain, i transferred their data to these new profiles, created an exchange account for each user by logging into their respective profile. All their old emails were archived so I just had to import the pst in the outlook, for large pst file, I just created a new outlook data .pst file which pointed towards the archive.pst file.

I hope this will help to solve the problem.'

Rsin

Comment

Try deleting the local copy (on the workstation) of the profile(s).
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X