Exchange 2000 problem with new installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000 problem with new installation

I have a windows 2000 domain controller running exchange 2000. Internally mail works ok, when i try to mail externally however I get the following NDR

"A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.Contact your administrator. <abcdc2.abc.com #5.3.5>

I have configured forwarders for DNS

In virtual SMTP server I have configured forwarders for DNS and the
    smtp connector is configured there as abcdc2.abc.com which is the exchange server itself

The SMTP connector is configured to 'forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts abcdc2.abc.com', again this is the exchange server itself

I am also running ISA server as a firewall, with the SMTP server published and SMTP traffic allowed

nslookup says Non-existent domain

I am really hoping someone can help me out here

Re: Exchange 2000 problem with new installation

Hello,
    If you have SMTP connector configured, you don't need to add smart host settings to the SMTP virtual server;
    You configured the the SMTP connector to use its self as a smart host ( it is a totally wrong!). Remove it ! !!
    Just make sure that your Exchange server can access mail server on the internet.

You can install and configure SMTP message screener on ISA and use it as a smart host for your exchange. BUT it is optional.
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Ok, so what should I configure and how ?

I mean, should I put in the firewall as a smart host?

Comment

Only if you configure a virtual SMTP on ISA. But for the first time don't put any smart host in your SMTP connector configuration.
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Working...
        X