Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New exchange server requires UPN logon for Outook 2003

Hi
    I'm in this midst of installing a second exchange server at my site (win2k domain), and when I have it running I'll swing the users over.

I'm having problems with the Outlook 2003 client

the UPN logon works fine itís just that on the old server I just need the username, on the new server I need to enter either [email protected] or exchangedomain\username

I know the users will squawk about this if I can't resolve it before the rollout

Any help would be greatly appreciated

These are the differences between the two servers: Old server Win2k, Exchange 2003, DC, GC ; New server Win2k3 R2, Exchange 2003 sp2, member server

Thanks

Phillip

Re: New exchange server requires UPN logon for Outook 2003

Read the article especially the part under: Optional - Customize the logon page
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I thought pcarpendale was having problems with outlook, not OWA?

Or does the solution work for both?

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The solution is for OWA.

Are both your Exchange servers sp2? Is DNS setup correctly in the NIC of the new exchange server?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi
          Only the new exchange server is sp2.
          I think the DNS is set up correctly. I just went over it again.
          Both servers have 3 nics. The two extra nics are for seperate OWAs.
          Phillip

Comment

Hi
            I called Microsoft about this and they told me that this is by design, and is because the new server is windows 2003. That windows 2000 looks for the user in availbable domains but win2k3 won't. Extra security?
            So I guess I'll just have to live with it.
            Thanks
            Phillip

Comment

So are they saying that when Exchange 2003 runs on Windows Server 2003 it will prompt for a username and password regardless of whether the Outlook 2003 client is on a domain computer and the user is opening their own mailbox?

Can someone clarify this before we upgrade our exchange boxes to Win2k3?
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi
                They said if the client computer is a member of the domain and logged on to the domain, then username and password would work. But if not then you need the UPN logon [email protected] or exchangedomain\username.
                I have lots of roving users and users in other domains so that isn't an option for me. I'll have to educate my users.
                Thanks
                Phillip

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me Phillip. Sorry I can't help you in any way. I suppose the users will just have to learn.... send them an e-mail
                  Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Hi Phillip, my apologies for pointing you in the wrong direction. I read the post and when I saw "exchangedomain\username" the brain clicked OWA and I forgot about the Outloook part of the problem. (Old age is a bugger) My wife says I am going to Egypt for some holidays, she is always telling me going I am going (to) see nile.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X