Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E2K3 as a web facing server ?

Hi all

I have my exchange 2003/windows 2003 server up and running now.. I want to open ports on my router to allow OMA/OWA. I currently have just the ADSL modem hooked up to a Linksys WRV54g wireless router which is also acting as a firewall. I have not yet done any 'hardening' of W2k3 or W3k3.

My question is really, How open to attacks am I leaving my server in its current state? should I provide a 'proper' firewall or just follow steps to secure the server.

I guess most people are going to say do both, but as its not that important and can be switched off at a moments notice, I currently want to just take the easist options

Thoughts Please

thanks

Cliff

Re: E2K3 as a web facing server ?

I would ensure the w2k3 machine is fully patched and service packed up to date and you have suitable updated AV running on it.

I would then only forward the required ports you need to your server.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, I'll see what happens

thanks

Comment

Shields Up will test what ports you have open.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
          I would ensure the w2k3 machine is fully patched and service packed up to date and you have suitable updated AV running on it.

I would then only forward the required ports you need to your server.

Hope this helps

Michael
          Even though you will only forward the required ports you need I would also disable any services on the front end server that you dont require. POP3, NNTP, SMTP (If it's only a OWA Front end server) if there not already disabled.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X