No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 backup plan

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 backup plan

I recently upgraded exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 (on server A)with out any major problem. we are now ready to upgrade our AD from 2000 to 2003. I want to set up a fail over mechanism for exchange server in case the windows upgrade f do not go as planned. I have already moved all FSMO roles to a new DC (server B) that is running windows 2003.
    My idea is to:
    1) configure additional exchange 2003 server on a different server (server B) and make it part of same Organization.
    2) Move all the mail boxes and public folders to the new server(server B).
    3) check from a client computer to see that I can access the mail boxes through outlook.
    4) upgrade the original server (server A) to windows 2003 (AD 2003) and if the installation completes with out problem, move back the mail boxes to the server.(server A).
    5) If the upgrade fails, I will do a fresh installation of windows 2003 and exchange 2003 on server A and then move the mail boxes from Server B.

Since I plan to do this on a weekend, I expect that by Monday the users will be able to access their mail boxes with out any problem.

let me know if you see any problems with this upgrade plan.