Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange failover

Hey all...

We are looking for a failover solution for our exchange server.
    we are a small op with roughly 100 users in 1 location.
    And of course I am tasked with finding an economical solution that meets our needs which is auto failover incase of server loss.

We will be running server 2003 Ent and Exch 2003 Ent.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Re: Exchange failover

Best option if you can afford it would be to cluster you backend exchange servers. This maybe overkill if you only have 100 mailboxes - Perhaps a good backup / restore plan maybe better.

But.... If you have the money then go for it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

Hope it helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It might not be the worst idea considering the costs I am lloking at for some of the current solutions.

I have a dual xeon box that will be awaiting use anyway once I get the new servers.
      Now, with clustersing, I will need to obtain licenses for each server yes?

Comment

There are a couple of other companies that provide this type of recovery feature for you.

One of them is NeverFail

Comment

Yes. You will have two seperate exchange servers but your users will only see one virtual server. You will also require some sort of NAS box for storage as both exchange servers will require access to the NAS box in the event of a failover

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

If it's only 100 users, it doesn't justify NAS. You just need enough disk on both servers. If you can get the bandwidth, you could put them in different offices

Comment

If you can hold out for another 6 months or so, Exchange 2007 is going to have an excellent solution called Clustered Continuous Replication (CCR). Another product you could use would be DoubleTake.

Jim McBee
              Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
              X