Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot telnet to my email server using posrt 25 from the lan (was: Port 25?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot telnet to my email server using posrt 25 from the lan (was: Port 25?)

Hi All

Bit of a newbee on exchange...I have setup a w2k3 server with exchange 2003, mail flows fine internally and out to the internet. but not in..

Mx records are set etc...

my problem is with port 25 on the exchange box.

locally I can telnet to the localhost 25 and that works, but try it through the network and I get is could not open connection to the host.

if I connect the server to a hub and then use a laptop, I get the same error.

I assume as it is just 1 server connected to the internet that I dont need to setup a connector?

is there a CMD line util I can use to see what ports are open?

this is an out of the box windows 2003 and exchange 2003 install, nothing has been added or taken away....

using portqry from my laptop, it tells me that only port 80 is listening

thanks

Cliff
    Last edited by cliffb; 15th July 2006, 13:12.

Re: Port 25?

Is the firewall on the server turned off?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The firewall is not configured, but I have now been in there and set it to off
      this is the output from portqry running on my laptop

C:\PortQryV2>portqry -n 172.16.16.100
      Querying target system called:
      Attempting to resolve IP address to a name...

IP address resolved to MAIL01

querying...

TCP port 80 (http service): LISTENING

I can telnet on the server to port 25 using the dns name and ip address, but not from anywhere else...

thanks

Cliff

Comment

Cliff,

You say that you can telnet using port 25 just from the server itself but not from any other computer on the network?

No FW?

No IPSec filtering?

No TCP port restrictions?

Is the SMTP Virtual Server up and running? What IP is it bound to? Did you change your IP address and somehow it got stuck to the old IP?

If nothing helps you might try to reinstall SMTP (follow a MS KB about it, don't just reinstall).

Also, next time please choose a good topic unless you want us to say bye bye.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Cannot telnet to my email server using posrt 25 from the lan (was: Port 25?)

Ok so it was a bad title...

I have since the last post wiped the server and rebuilt it, just to be sure it was nothing I had done incorrectly.(which it still could be as it still dont work!!)

Ok fresh install of w2k3 enterprise edition, SP1 + patches from windows update.
          the server has 2 nics, but the second 1 has been disabled( thought it may mess dns up with a 169.x.x.x address)

installed exchange 2003 +sp2, internal mail works fine and out to the www is good, but incoming is still not happening as port 25 is not reachable.

I have checked all the things mentioned in the above posts, the firewall was not enabled, but this started the internet connection sharing and then the firewall settings are available, port 25 has been allowed through, and the FW has now been disabled, but still no connection to port 25....port 80 is ok.

this is a total 'vanilla' install exchange was installed following the script that loads when you put the exchange cd in, ie, do the check boxes....

its currently not going through anything more than a hub to a laptop, but no port 25.....

Any more suggestions

thanks

Cliff

Comment

Re: Cannot telnet to my email server using posrt 25 from the lan (was: Port 25?)

Is this setup on a Domain or is the server a standalone?
            If Domain, was the Win2K3 server joined to the Domain?
            Did you install Exchange SP1?
            Can you ping the server's IP from another PC?
            Can you ping the server's name from another PC?

Has SMTP Virtual Server been enabled in Exchange System Manager?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	E2k3-SMTP.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	462579
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Because the Exchange installation places the SMTP configuration data in the AD, and because it's the same AD as before, it could be that you're using the same settings as before.

You did not answer my question about the IP addresses on the SMTP Virtual Server.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

ok thanks for the replies

I'll answer them all here as it is...

>Is this setup on a Domain or is the server a standalone? Standalone, its all in one, to soon be connected to another remote ad/exchange box

>If Domain, was the Win2K3 server joined to the Domain? standalone own domain
                >Did you install Exchange SP1? No, just sp2 (but port 25 error was there before sp2)
                >Can you ping the server's IP from another PC? YES
                >Can you ping the server's name from another PC? YES

the default smtp virtual server has been installed(as per picture)

>Because the Exchange installation places the SMTP configuration data in the AD, and because it's the same AD as before, it could be that you're using the same settings as before.
                sorry not making myself clear its a standalone domain, the only server, not connected to any other servers yet

>You did not answer my question about the IP addresses on the SMTP Virtual Server. Again...sorry,,,OK the IP address is on the correct address

Not sure where to look next....

thanks

Cliff

Comment

Cliff, as much as we'd like to help, you're not really helping us.

Are you saying that the box is a stand alone machine with Exchange on it? How is that possible?????? An Exchange server must be on a box that is a part of a domain. You really need to make some order here, give us information, all the information, and help us help you if you want us to continue.

You're not supposed to install any "Default SMTP VS". The installation does it by itself. So how exactly did you "install" it?

As for my question - how hard is it to follow and answer?

"Is the SMTP Virtual Server up and running? What IP is it bound to? Did you change your IP address and somehow it got stuck to the old IP?"

Do I need to beg you for this information?

Cliff, you're not with us.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

When I say its standalone, I meant its a single server hosting its own domain, its own DNS, and exchange, all in one, or standalone... pretty obvious you cant install echange without it being part of a domain, its just this server is the domain....

You all need not worry anymore, it is now fixed, it seems you need to set a role up for the server. even though exchange is installed and setup as per instructions, the pop3/smtp role needs to be setup under 'manage your server'

so even though SMTP was setup correctly and telnet was possible to port 25 on the server console, something was blocking it from the network, which setting the role has fixed. Surprised none of you suggested this or spotted it

Still I have learnt loads and now it works, now time to delete it and install GroupWise

Comment

Cliff, was that server an SBS server by mistake? If not, I can assure you I've installed and configured hundreds of Exchange servers in my life, and never, ever, nevvveerrrr in my life, was I ever expected to ever touch that damn wizard window

Trust me when I say that. There is no connection between a "proper" Exchange installation and that Roles wizard.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                      X