Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full text indexing crashes exchange system manager

Hey everyone,

my name is tamir (originaly from givatayim) and i work in melbourne australia for an IT small business consultants company. this is my first post:

we seem to have a weird problem with one of our clients. i tried to implement full text indexing for them and whenever I try to "delete full index" or "create new index" the exchange system manger simply halts and i have to end the task in order to get back to it. every single action (such as "pause", "start", "create new index", "delete new index") simply halts the application.

also, it says it's initializing all the time and says it indexed 0 documents (for the entire day now) although I'm using outlook clients and succeeding in searching for documents.

Another very funny thing is that the tick box: "This index is currently available for searching by clients" is ticked off.... and i am performing an advanced search on the ms outlook clients which is supposed to be using the full text index as far as i'm aware of.

I tried restarting the server. Tried restarting the information store service. No help. The only thing that (I think) got the index to be available for clients (with the tick box off god knows how it works) was by restarting the MS search service.

Any ideas of what I can try next anyone?

Thanks for your time.

Tamir

[email protected]

Re: full text indexing crashes exchange system manager

well what do you know... i'm replying to my own posts...

after further inverstigaion, i found out that i'm receving many errors but i think that the first error is the cause of all the others:

i'm receving an ESE 494 error saying that it can't access a database file that i can clearly see is there. the file is ExchangeServer_myServer.edb and it is placed at:

C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ExchangeServer_myServer

All the errors that i'm getting are coming when I restart the MS search service so obviously this is all related.

How can I get around this? Can i just delete this .edb file and restart the service and it will re create it? What is this file anyway?

Comment

well it seems like my MS search service is damaged in some way. I read this article and everything fits their descriptions.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

1) I can't re create or delete or do anything with the indexes.

2) i'm getting errors when i'm restarting my search service.

Does this make sense to you guys? Also, what could possibly have made this happen?

Tamir

Comment

Sorry.. when going to that link, you have to actually click "Repairing Full Text Indexing" on the left side to get to the correct article.

Comment

So Tamir, did the article solve your issue or not?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

well to be honest it involves running a disaster recovery procedure which to be honest i'm trying to keep as my last resort.

I'm trying to narrow it down first. At the moment, i can somehow delete my index catalog and then when i restart the MS search service, i get no errors at all.

The errors only come when I actually create a new index catalog and try and populate it. Most of the errors refer to the ExchangeServer_myServer.edb file.

To be honest i'm a bit lost (and also quite new to this...) but i'm not giving up that's for sure.

Any guidelines or tips?

Thanks for your reply.

Tamir

Comment

it looks like all my troubles start from the ExchangeServer_myServer.edb database file.

i've been doing some reading... should i be using the Eseutil with the /r or /p to try and fix that database?

Comment

so i have been playing around with the harmless switches such as /mh and /k (the last one does a checksum test) and it told me that the database has no streaming file. I checked the folder and indeed couldn't find it.

Microsoft says that i should try and re create the .stm file if it's missing as a part of getting around the 494 error from ESE (on the event log): "Use Eseutil /P createstm if the .stm file is missing and there is no backup available"

So far that's the most narrowed down problem that i have found so far.

wish me luck everyone. if i'm going down with this mail server, i'll let you all know.

Comment

Tamir, let me verify something with you: Are you talking about the EDB file for an Exchange store, or the one for the Index Server DB?

Lastly, a bit stupid but still I must ask - why on earth are you using Full Text Indexing? What benefits does it offer except being able to search within attachments?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well daniel, to be honest i have no god damn clue why i'm using it.

I inherited this setup a few days ago and was reported by one of my clients that searches bring 0 results. I then checked and found the indexing to be frozen (stuck on crawling and with 0 documents indexed).

my next step was to see why it stopped working. what i have done next was this:

I unticked the "This index is currently available for searching by clients" and i think that once i've done that, the searches on MS outlook clients were being done locally and not by contacting the server indexes (would that be a correct assumption?).

After reading your comment I think i might just leave it like that. I'm sorry if my comments are confusing everyone but as i said i'm very new to exchange (believe it or not... heheh..).

Anyway, my work day is over so I will post my final conclusion tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help. I love your site and use it almost every day.

Tamir

Comment

Tamir, by disabling the ability for the clients to use the index they are now using local search, that's right.

The Full Text Index mechanism is a bit problematic. On one hand it allows searches of specific file attachments and perhaps returns faster results, on the other hand it has many "issues": A huge database - over 20% of the store's size; A serious performance overhead on the server when the index is built, and some issues when it is updated; since updates are only done at a specific interval (never by default) then the searches in between updates are not current; no ability to perform partial searches; other issues.

I suggest checking to see "why" you've inherited this setup. If there's a good reason for it, go for it. If not, stop using it.

Instead you could install the free Microsoft LookOut v2.1 tool.

Whatever you do DO NOT install the Google Desktop Search tool!!! And if you do, DO NOT point it to index your mailboxes.
                      Last edited by danielp; 13th July 2006, 08:06.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The other thing to remember is that if the client is using Outlook 2003 in cached mode, then the full text index is not used in any searches anyway.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks Simon, I knew I forgot something.
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well everyone, I've definitely learned a few very valuable things during this expereince. As daniel advised, I think it is certainly a much better idea to use LookOut for fast searches.

Thank you all for all your help.

Tamir.

Comment

Working...
                            X