Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore Exchange from backup big question

Hello,

I ran into a problem and it seems that nobody can give me an answer. 2 weeks ago my Exchange 2003 database got corrupted. Still it functions and users with a few exceptions have no problems in receiving or sending email. Since it got corrupted I cannot backup it. So the solution would be to use the 2 weeks old backup and restore it over the existing corrupted database. I have thoug a problem. What will happen with the emails that my users have sent and received in those 2 weeks? I mention that my users use Outlook 2003 in Cached Exchange Mode.
    After I restore the 2 weeks old database will the Exchange databese syncronize the emails with the users Outlook 2003 or will those 2 weeks send/received mails dissapear and be lost?

Thank you for your anticipated help

Re: Restore Exchange from backup big question

Have you tried using ESEUTIL?

This link seems appropriate

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I haven't tried eseutil because not even Microsoft recommends it. Microsoft recommends the last backup solution.

Comment

i've used eseutil many times to repair a corrupted database, when de backup wasn't approatiate.

Where did you heard that microsoft doesn't recommend it to use it?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

On Microsoft Techcenter says that repairing the database instead of recovering it from a previous backup is considered to be "Repairing a database is usually an inferior strategy compared to restoring from a backup and rolling the database forward because repair usually takes longer than restoration and is riskier. Choose repair only if:
          You do not have a backup. -or-

You cannot roll forward completely from your backup."

And I have a previous backup from 2 weeks ago. The problem is will users loose the email they received and sent from their Outlook 2003(configured in Cached Exchange Mode) from those 2 weeks or will the emails syncronize with the old database that I will restore?

Comment

Do you have circular logging enabled? If not, do your log files date back to the previous backup? When you do a restore, it's supposed to "replay" all the log files so that everything is up-to-date. Having said that, I've used ESEUTIL to fix a corrupted database and had no problems.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Also my Exchange database has 32 Gb and I do not know how much time will it take to complete the eseutil/isinteg procedure. I heard something around 1 hour per 1 Gb of data and will result in a big downtime of my mailing system.
              I really do not know what path to choose.

Comment

No, I do not have circular logging enabled, and in the MDBDATA folder the logs do not go back to the date of my previous backup.

Comment

Originally posted by yoakator
                  No, I do not have circular logging enabled, and in the MDBDATA folder the logs do not go back to the date of my previous backup.
                  You won't be able to do a restore and have everything up-to-date. Someone else might be able to address the outlook question. A very tedious solution would be to have everyone move everything two weeks old and newer to a local .pst file, do the restore, then move everything back.
                  Last edited by JeremyW; 4th July 2006, 14:44.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi all

I had the same problem after a ups error and a dirty shutdown state with 1 corrupt logfile. Nasty problem since I have to go backup 1 day, not mutch but 1 day of losing mails can have serious consequenses for some people.

After trying almost everything with eseutil ...
                    repairing, defraging, checksums
                    I came to the point that I needed to restore from backup. Since the store did not mount any longer and complaining of a bad logfile - giving it a dirty-shutdown state and the cycle did re-begin...
                    repairing, defraging, checksums

In my case there are like 20 users, most of them had a cached outlook file or OST. So the mail is locally in the mailbox. Before bringing the store up after restoring it from backup I exported al outlooks to PST, just for my own health

Then I did bring it up and not one users, with a good OST file lost mail. Only one had no OST and did lose mail from that day...

So check that OST's are there and for your health also make PST's... Depending on the amount of users And the restore the backup (first backup your current one, you never now), all should work fine then.

Regards
                    Rikke

Comment

Originally posted by rikke_vp View Post
                      Then I did bring it up and not one users, with a good OST file lost mail. Only one had no OST and did lose mail from that day...

So check that OST's are there and for your health also make PST's... Depending on the amount of users And the restore the backup (first backup your current one, you never now), all should work fine then.
                      Hi Rikke. Thanks for sharing how you addressed your problem.
                      But I think your OST comments might be misleading. From my understanding, I believe the transaction logs being "replayed" is what kept everything up to date, not the local OST files.

Simon or Daniel, would you mind clarifying? Thanks.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

OST files can be used to back fill a database, they should back fill the information. It is a similar thing to when you import a PST file in to Outlook in cached mode - the content is initially imported in to the OST and then uploaded to the Exchange server.

If the transaction logs had been replayed then I would have expected the user with missing mail to have got their email back as well.

The theoretical way that it is supposed to work is that you restore the last backup, then replay the transaction logs. It all depends on what has happened to the server.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Ah, good to know.
                          Thanks Simon.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                          X