Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinstalling to an existing domain

Hi folks,

I am hoping someone can help me out. I have Googled to find a solution to this and also looked in the 'How To's and didn't find anything to help me out on this one.

I have a domain, the exchange server died on it a while ago and I am to reinstall when I get a replacement server. There were no backup exchange servers on the domain. The situation is this at the moment. I have a domain controller running windows 2000 and a firewall running MS ISA 2000. I will want to implement exchange on the new server when i get it.

I know normally you would run forestprep and domainprep, however when I look at ldp I can see references to exchange there, also in ad users and computers and also ad sites and services.

Ideally I would like to give the server the same name as the old one.

My query is this, can I delete the old server from ad users and computers as well as ad sites and services safely and then in turn install exchange without running forest prep and domainprep ?

Re: Reinstalling to an existing domain

When installing the new server with the old server name you need to use the /DISASTERRECOVERY switch with the setup.exe of Exchange.

However, since it seems that your setup was very poorly constructed, I suggest reading some whitepapers and implementing a better design (Another DC, backup software and tape, AV etc.) before you making the same mistakes again.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for that Daniel.

I inherited this set-up from the previous SysAdmin person, I know it's far from ideal but the company don't have the financial resources for anything else at the moment.

Comment

I am pretty sure I will get shouted at for not mentioning this, but the old server was also a domain controller

Today I successfully ran ntdsutil and got rid of the old server from
        active directory, named the new one after it, did dcpromo and it worked
        well

I understand I can run with the /disasterrecovery switch but truth be
        told there isn't a working backup of the old server and anyway, the
        hardware is totally different. The one working backup I have is from
        last January and I am very reluctant to go into DSRM to restore system
        state or system volume from such an old backup. I don't know what effect that may have on the entire domain and can't afford to take the risk!!

Is there an alternative for me here ?

By the way, go easy on me, I am only 2 months in the job. I support roughly 300 users, 400 desktops and 8 servers all on my own and I am still finding things out about the domains I manage in terms of network infrastructure as there was NO documentation of anything when I started

Comment

The new server hardware has NOTHING to do with the /DISASTERRCOVERY switch in Exchange. It's not like you're restoring the old server's system state or something. You're just telling the Exchange setup not to create new AD objects because you're using the same server name.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X