Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing ISA server on existing network -- issues to consider?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing ISA server on existing network -- issues to consider?

I'm thinking of installing ISA 2004 on my existing LAN:
    DC (Win2K3 Ent SP1)
    Exchange (Win2K3 Ent SP1 / Exchange SP2 / Web Site / WSUS serving internal and some external clients)

ISA Server will be Win23 Standard with dual NiCs. Connectivity is by ADSL through a NAT router.

This is partially for learning purposes and also to improve security on the network and keep some logging of Web Pages.

Are there any issues I need to consider particularly with Exchange, OWA and OMA?

Thanks in Advance
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Installing ISA server on existing network -- issues to consider?

1. Connectivity is by ADSL through a NAT router - Usually the ISA should do the NAT. The router just connect to the ISP and use real (Public) IP so the external IP of the ISA is Public also.

2. Firewall - Usually it wise to install firewall with at least 4 legs (2 DMZ etc.).

3. Antivirus - Why not to add antivirus module for ISA (Liek the nice GFI/Trend products) so you can scan for viruses/spyware etc. while getting/sending data?

4. www.isaserver.org contains a link for two books on ISA 2004. Read them
    before deploy the product.

5. ISA Hardware: HP 360/380 G4, 2*146 GB 10000 RPM, 2 GB RAM, 1 CPU,
    Full FAN kit.
    I dont like the idea to use low hardware spec due the known issues like:
    The SATA raid doesnt rebuild etc.

6. Create a diagram on the current network traffic (ports, IP's etc.) and
    a for the new network settings.

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
    X