Forwarding to External SMTP Address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forwarding to External SMTP Address

For some reason, forwarding to external smtp addresses has stopped working for mail-enabled AD users that do not have an Exchange mailbox.

I used to be able to define a user without a mailbox, then create an e-mail address for the user. The external address would be the primary and I would define a secondary address for the user from our smtp domain. This way, the user could receive mail sent to his (fictitious) address on our smtp domain at his external address, without storing the messages on my Exchange server, or defining another user. Somehow, sometime, it stopped working.

We use Exchange 2003, SP2 and our Exchange server receives mails for 2 smtp domains.

Thanks,

Carey

Re: Forwarding to External SMTP Address

Why not set up a mail enabled user as normal, enable forwarding to a contact and deselect the "keep copy of forwarded message" option?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Twice as much work. I set up a lot of users each week. I'll have to reconfigure a lot of contacts if there is no way to get this working again. And it was working. I think it may have stopped around the time we upgraded to SP2.

Thanks,

Carey

Comment

I have just tested on Exchange 2k3 sp2 environment and worked perfectly.
        Just a minor note, when you run Exchange task wizard, you have to choose
        Establish Email address instead Create Mailbox.
        Did you use Message tracking to see how emails are routed for these special users?
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Working...
        X