Exchange 2003 and services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 and services

Setup - 2 x windows 2003 SP1 and fully patched. Both servers running AD and DHCP and and GC's

Created a svc_xch account with domain admins and enterprise admins membership

Installed exchange 2003 on one server under the administrator account and specified the svc_xch account as the administrator account when installed. After installed successfully all services start. When I tried to change the service accounts from localsystem to the svc_xch all of the services apart from Microsoft Exchange Management will not start. When attempting to start the system attendant I get the following error:

"The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

When I change it back to localsystem everything works fine. When checking the delegation of the administration group both administrator and svc_xch have full access

Anyone any ideas??

Thanks

Michael

P.s. This is a test network
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Exchange 2003 and services

Why you need to change the logon account for this services? Its the best to use the default installation settings...
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I ran into this issue when studying for 70-284.

Check to see if svc_xch has the privilege to run as a service on the Exchange server. This is different than having full control permissions in AD. You can use group policy to specify in "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Polciy\User Rights Assignment\Log on as a service" or you can just add svc_xch to the Administrators group.

See if that works...
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by yuval14
        Why you need to change the logon account for this services? Its the best to use the default installation settings...
        Not according to MS Press. Their book says to do this for auditing purposes.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I'm going through the Exchange 2003 Training kit and it advises to change the exchange service account because if you have multiple services sharing the same account then troubleshooting security can be more difficult.

the svc_xch account has the "log on as a service" role, It automatically does this first time you try to make a service use it. It's baffelling me why it doesn't work.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by m80arm; 24th June 2006, 16:08.
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
            the svc_xch account has the "log on as a service" role so it's baffelling me why it doesn't work.
            I can't remember if I ever figured it out. I think I might've just moved on.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
              I can't remember if I ever figured it out. I think I might've just moved on.
              Darn - I hate having unfinished business

Where's Mr. Petri when you need him.

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Darn - I hate having unfinished business
                Yeah, I know what'ya mean!
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You can move on!!! Check out this link from MS and note the part about creating a service account.
                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837527/en-us
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
                    You can move on!!! Check out this link from MS and note the part about creating a service account.
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837527/en-us
                    Dammmm you M$ - You've just wasted 2 hours of my life trying to sort out this problem.

Thanks very much Jeremy - I have bookmarked it just incase anything else isn't quite working

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Nice find Jeremy. Very slow to open, maybe because someone is leeching my ftp site and murdering my bandwidth.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                        Nice find Jeremy. Very slow to open, maybe because someone is leeching my ftp site and murdering my bandwidth.
                        The cheeky buggers

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

The cheeky buggers l
                          Man, I wish I had a vocabulary like that! I'd probably just call them "dumb stupids" or something like that.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                          X