Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Run Exchange 2003 on both Win 2k and Win 2k3?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Exchange 2003 on both Win 2k and Win 2k3?

Hi all

We currently have 3 Exchange 2003 servers all running on Windows 2000 Server. 1 x front end, 1 x back end and one back end and bridgehead.

We want to replace all three with new servers running Windows Server 2003. What would be the easiest way to do this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Run Exchange 2003 on both Win 2k and Win 2k3?

Although in-place upgrade of Windows 2000 > 2003 is possible, I'd advise against it. I do not like in-place upgrades.

If you have a spare server for each existing machine, add new machines to the org, and slowly decomission the old ones after moving all MBXs and replicating all (incl. system) PFs.

If you only have one spare server you might be able to do so by using a "leap frog" method, install one new server, move all MBXs and replicating all (incl. system) PFs, emove the old one, reinstall the old one with Win 2003 + Ex 2003, then move back. The FE will be much easier coz you don't have any MBXs or PFs on it.

If you don't have anything spare, move all MBXs and replicating all (incl. system) PFs to the ohter BE, remove the first, reinstall with Win 2003 + EX 2003, move back MBXs and PFs. Then do it with the second BE.

Oh, I believe that the FE "should" go first, but I can check that if it's urgent.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

We will be lucky enough to have 3 brand new servers to install along side our existing servers. So you would recommend installed Windows Server 2003 on the three new ones, move the mailboxes to the two backends and then decommision the old servers (whilst doing the front end change over at some point).

Will it be ok running some servers with 2000 server and some 2003 (ALL will be running exchnage 2003 sp1)?

Thanks
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

As long as all Win 2000 ones are SP3 (better make it SP4) and all DCs/GCs are SP3 or higher (again, I'd go for SP4) then that's quite ok.

When all MBXs and PFs have been moved to the new BE, just let the old ones stay there for a week or so, see that all is ok (FW rules, bridgheads, connectors, smart hosts, mail relay rules, anti-spam and anti-virus, backups, etc.). Then after a week or so just shut them off, again, look for any issues (OWA/OMA, ActiveSync, GAL issues etc.). Then if no one yells bloody murder then uninstall the old servers and you're set.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Many thanks for the help Daniel. Our new servers have arrived and I am starting to form a plan. The first thing i want to do when I have exchange installed is to move the public folders. I have looked on google and have yet to find anything that gives step by step instructions (plus after all the great advice i get here - i wouldn't trust a 'google bot find' over the guys here ).
          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Funnily enough i was looking into this yesterday as we are replacing our exchnage box here.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Please note that i think the directsion given in step 1 are wrong.

It should read

Start ESM, Browse down through Administrative Groups, Your admin Group, Servers, Public Folder store, Public folders.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
              Funnily enough i was looking into this yesterday as we are replacing our exchnage box here.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Please note that i think the directsion given in step 1 are wrong.

It should read

Start ESM, Browse down through Administrative Groups, Your admin Group, Servers, Public Folder store, Public folders.

Hope this helps.

Should there be in a link in your message?
              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
                Should there be in a link in your message?
                Yes there should be

So i'll add it now

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288150

Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
                  Yes there should be

So i'll add it now

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288150

Sorry
                  This is for exchange 2000. I assume it will work for exchange 2003?
                  Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Looks different to me but I don't have Exchange 2000 to compare it to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PublicFolder.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	462567
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You actually need to drill right down to the actual folders to set the replica's
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X