Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ActivSync 4.1 failure to synch with Outlook on SBS 2003 Exchange over T-Mobile Netwrk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ActivSync 4.1 failure to synch with Outlook on SBS 2003 Exchange over T-Mobile Netwrk

Using a T-Mobile MDA, and ActivSync 4.1, SBS 2003 SP1, Exchange Server 2003 SP2, Self Signed CA (has been installed on MDA), Netgear FVS318v3 Firewall (Port 443 has been configured to allow UDP/TCP, Port 444 has been configured to allow UDP/TCP), ISP is Allegiance.TV Cable, TrendMicro Client/Server Messaging Antivirus Suite

Support from T-Mobile's Tier 3 has been priceless but "we" (they and I) are stuck
    Support from Netgear has only kicked in and has not yielded anything yet.
    Support from Allegiance.TV Cable (ISP) yielded an indication of some line noise.
    Support from Dell Enterprise Gold has been supportive.
    Support from TrendMicro has Not kicked in -- contact will be made with them as soon as they open tomorrow morning.

Synchronization with Server occurs when MDA is in cradle on a PC on the network.

Attempts to synchronize MDA with Server when MDA is not on cradle are unsuccessful.

error message is 'typically' but not always 10014 (I am doing this error message from memory so may be a digit off) which from my reading is being generated by Outlook 2003 -- if this is the case, I interpret this as suggesting that a connection is occurring but the handshake (or other authentication is not effectively occurring)

--- I am observing "access policy not found" on the Netgear Firewall Log -- as of the moment Netgear is unable to effectively interpret

-- I am currently using domainname.com as the servername in the ActivSync 4.1 -- I am unsure and am seeking information as to how activsync actually interfaces with the server --- domainname.com is directed via an "A Record" to the static IP of the router, Port 443 (which is the secure port) is directed to 192.168.0.3 (which is the SBS Server) --- an assumption is made (possibly in error) that Activsync seeks the exchange server (Note: using IE6 to access domainname.com yields the "My CompanyWeb" page --- in order to use webaccess to reach the Exchange Server it is necessary to use domainname.com/exchange). Use of domainname.com/exchange does not resolve the issue.

Again, I am seeking clarification of how Activsync access the exchange server -- I keep getting the feeling that this may be a crucial item. Am also wondering about using Domain Forwarding to send domainname.com to domainname.com/exchange. Am also wondering about changing the 192.168.0.3 (SBS IP) default to /Exchange. These considerations are awaiting clarification of ActivSync

EndUser has a trip this week and so (at least for him) this item is Critical.

Any and all assistance is and will be greatly appreciated.
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    0.00%
    Have Resolved
    0.00%
    What is Activ Synch 4.1
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: ActivSync 4.1 failure to synch with Outlook on SBS 2003 Exchange over T-Mobile Netwrk

Does the Subject name on the Exchange cerver certificate match the FQDN which you are trying to use in ActiveSync ?
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Re: ActivSync 4.1 failure to synch with Outlook on SBS 2003 Exchange over T-Mobile Netwrk

Yes: the FQDN is domainname.com, the CA Host Name is domainname.com

---there is no indication that the CA is not authenticating

Note that the website is www.domainname.com and is directed to a "place holding page" on the yahoo.com server.

domainname.com is pointed at the static ip of the Firewall/Router that then refers the Port 443 to the ip of the SBS Server

Using a browser: (1.) www.domainname.com arrives at the "place holding page ....and (2.) domainname.com arrives at the "MyCompanyWeb" page on the SBS Server

Comment

You shouldn't be using domain.com as the name of the server in the device.
        Doing anything with just domain.com is bad practise and will cause problems with certain services, networks and name resolution.

Plus people will put just the domain name in to their web browsers without the www. You don't want to encourage people to hit private content.

You should always use a host.

Therefore the first recommendation I would make would be to swap to a host name. mail.domain.com or something like that.
        That will ensure that name resolution is going to the correct place and allow you to accurately test things.
        If you are using the same domain internally on the Window network, then trying to resolve domain.com can cause problems. Not so much of an issue with SBS, but with bigger networks where Exchange is on a member server, domain.com will resolve to the DCs ALWAYS.

Biggest error made with EAS is in the IIS configuration. As you are using SSL, make sure that you do NOT have require SSL enabled on either the /oma, /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync or /exchange virtual directory.

Does OMA work? Pocket Internet Explorer is more forgiving when it comes to SSL certificates, so checking the SSL certificate state with OMA is easier. If there is a problem it will throw up an error.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

..I don't disagree with what you say ...however, given the symptoms that I'm getting I don't see how any of these suggestions address the issues that I'm dealing with

The issue that I am trying to address is synchronization using Activesync 4.1 ..all indications I'm getting is that domainname.com is resolving to the SBS

sbs.domainname.com resolves to the same "location" on the server when tested with the browser.

mail1.domainname.com resolves to the same "location" on the server when tested with the browser.

....I may be missing your point.

Comment

Heads Up!!

TrendMicro has a known issue with ActiveSync 4.1

Comment

Update:

(1.) Turning off Trend Micro Client/Server Messaging alowed syncing using GPRS
              (2.) Am still experiencing failures at times -- will sync several times and then fail for a while and then start syncing again -- currently suspecting either T-Mobile Network Issues or possibly ISP issues (MDA is for the next several days in a high density urban environment -- hopefully this 'experience' will provide useful data)
              (3.) there appears to be a possible issue with whether End User's PC is logged into LAN where exchange server is located
              (4.) Note: Forwarding of email to a external POP server is being used as a 'backup' in case syncing of email fails while EU is at business meeting

I continue to seek solution to the 'sometimes' sync failure and appreciate any posts

Comment

Re: ActivSync 4.1 failure to synch with Outlook on SBS 2003 Exchange over T-Mobile Ne

I had a similar issue with Symantec for Exchange. I disabled the Symantec services and was able to synch. I then restarted the symantec services, verified they were running per normal, and found myself still able to synch.

Oddest thing, but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Comment

We are experiancing simliar problems with a qtek pda
                  it will sync one way only handset to exchange mailbox

exchange is 2003 sp2 osis 2003 sbs sp1

installed cert ok now authenticates ok

has been sugested to attempt with our dlink firewall tuned off - not tried this yet ?

also maybe a server reboot

any ideas would be gratefill received

many thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X