OWA access from a pc not joined to the domain issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA access from a pc not joined to the domain issue

Server: Dell PowerEdge 2850 running Server 2k3 and Exchange 2k3.
    OWA info: not using forms based authentication

OWA works great from my laptop, which is joined to our companies domain both inside and outside our local network. The issue is when I try to access OWA from a pc that has not been joined to our domain such as my home pc. If I try to logon to OWA from any pc that has not been joint to our domain, I am able to authenticate my user name and password but the page never fully loads. I get this:

and then the page times out after a few mins.
    It had been suggested that I try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327843
    But I followed every step and still got the same results from a pc not joined to our domain.
    I know its not network related due to my laptop (which is joined to our domain) being able to correctly open OWA from my home nertwork but my pc which is not part of the domain can not.
    Anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Hindsight is 20/20 foresight is what matters

Re: OWA access from a pc not joined to the domain issue

Is there any other difference between the 2 computers? What happens if someone else, me for example, tries to connect?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

The only difference between the two is that one is joined to the domain (the one that it works on) and the other is not.
      If someone else was to connect, I would think that you would get the same results. I had a friend test that but I'm not sure if it would make any difference if you tried from a pc joined to another domain. I would be more then willing to create an account for you to try if you think it would be helpful in troubleshooting. Let me know.
      Last edited by backspace; 17th June 2006, 22:59.

Comment

Check your authentication settings in IIS Manager.

/exchange - basic and integrated
        /exchweb - anonymous ONLY
        /public - basic and integrated
        /exadmin - integrated only.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Check, check, check and check. All the above authentication settings in IIS Manager are correct. Anything else I can try?

Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by backspace
            The only difference between the two is that one is joined to the domain (the one that it works on) and the other is not.
            If someone else was to connect, I would think that you would get the same results. I had a friend test that but I'm not sure if it would make any difference if you tried from a pc joined to another domain. I would be more then willing to create an account for you to try if you think it would be helpful in troubleshooting. Let me know.
            Why don't you do that. Send me an email with the test user's name, pwd, and URL address.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Will do. I'll send it to you tomorrow in the am

Comment

Once had similiar problems with owa, and the problem was that Internet explorer had too tight security settings. Loosened it up, and it worked perfectly.

Comment

I have tried to access owa from both internet explorer and firefox so Im not sure that applies here.
                  Thanks for the info though I'll take a look at it.

Comment

Firefox will give you the basic client interface. Does that work?
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

If you don't mind trying forms based authentication, then activate it and disable the compression. Just to see if you can get it to work on the laptop at all.

[ Exchange System Manager -> Server -> Protocols -> HTTP -> Exchange Virtual Server -> Properties -> Settings ]
                      A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Daniel,
                        No go on firefox either that was one of the first things I tried. I still have to get you that test user account, been a bit busy. I'll do my best to get it to you tomorow.

Anders,
                        I'll give that a try and report back.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.
                        Last edited by backspace; 22nd June 2006, 02:35.

Comment

Daniel,
                          I sent you a test logon account via a private message. Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

Anders,
                          I tried the forms authentication you suggested. No difference.

Comment

Anyone have anything else to try for this one?? Still looking for a solution.

Comment

Ok last try. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I gave Daniel Petri a test logon account and he has experienced it with his own eyes but, I have yet to find a solution.
                              Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X