Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 SMTP authentication failure

I have the following situation:
    On a windows 2003 server which is DC I had installed exchange 2003 server.
    When I want to send an e-mail, the server try to authenticate me (there is a window with log on to title)
    But the server rejects the user name or password - it seems that the authentication fails. Nothing is logged in the event viewer. This situation happens even Iím logged locally as administrator and try to send mail with outlook express.
    Has anyone a suggestion?
    Thanks

Re: Exchange 2003 SMTP authentication failure

Bit confused here. You have authentication problems when you try and use "what program"? You have authentication problems when you use Outlook Express (which won't be using Exchange 2003).

Please read THIS LINK and post back again with the additional information so we can assist you with your problem. Thanks.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think it's about SMTP authentication. From any location (any IP including localhost), when I try to send mail with this server a window with "Enter Network passord" title appears with mail.mydomain.com server. I tried to enter the user in every way possible (with or without domain, including mail address) but failed to authenticate.
      Nothing wrong is logged on the server. In MS outlook when I try to "test account settings" there is a message which says "The Outlook could not connect to the outgoing SMTP mail server because the server did not accept your user name or password". The authentication works only for POP3.
      I don't understand what is wrong...

Thanks,
      Mihai

Comment

Some details about configuration:
        Windows 2003 server SP1 with, exchange server 2003 SP2. The server is also Domain Controller and is alone on his internal network (no other computer is on the network except a LINUX firewall which makes port forwarding for the e-mail server).

Thanks again

Comment

Did you reconfirm the password of the user account? It may be a spelling difference in that or the user account.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I had used "Use the same setting as my incoming mail server" option. And it is hard to believe that in a week I entered wrong the password every time .
            From OWA I can send e-mail without any problem.

Thanks

Comment

Strange question, but does your server have more than one IP address? More than one SMTP Virtual Server? More than one record in DNS for the same IP?
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X