Exchange server 2003 cannot be seen in "My Network Places"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange server 2003 cannot be seen in "My Network Places"

I'm a newbie administrator in Exchange 2003. My problem is the server cannot be seen when viewed in "My Network Places". I need this so I can share the resources of the Exchange server especially for backup purposes in Veritas. My officemate, our network admin adviced me to removed the server from the domain and then rejoin. I strongly disagree with his suggestion fearing this might cause severe damage to Exchange. What is the best way to solve this. Thank you very much.

Re: Exchange server 2003 cannot be seen in "My Network Places"

Removing the server from the domain will kill Exchange, so you should not do that.

Can you browse to the machine via \\servername ?

If you drop in to a command prompt and type

net view

can you see the machine in the list?

While I doubt if this will fix it, but also try the following command:

net config server /hidden:no

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I tried to find the server using \\servername and also tried net view. Did not find it. I will try using the ntconfig command you suggested. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but if your network admin suggested you remove an Exchange box from the domain and re-join it, I'd go for removing the sysadmin from work and making him re-write his CV...

See if the Computer Browser service is stopped in the server's services applet. If it is, start it.

If not, we need to get more info in order to try to help.

Also, know that "seeing" the server in the list doesn't mean you can't use resources on it. It just means that it'll be easier to browse for any shares found on it, that's it.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

This was the story. We were in to migrating Exchange from 5.5 to 2003. I installed a new mailserver (new machine) and gave it a temporary server name and joined it to the domain. I set up a dummy server so I can transfer the mailboxes from the old mailserver (old machine)to the dummy. Then I disconnected the old mailserver from the domain, removed its entries in the DNS and Active Directory so I can name the new mailserver same with the old. I renamed the mail server directly from System Properties- change computer name. Then I installed Exchange 2003 and proceed to finish the migration process. Our net admin said this was my mistake, instead of disjoining first the new mailserver from the domain, rename it, and rejoin again to the domain. Are there any other ways I can correct this? I need to resolve this problem so I can backup exchange mdb's using veritas. I am unable to do backup because veritas cannot see the new mail server. But practically the mail services works alright and I don't get much problems since I migrated to Exchange 2003.

Comment

So now you have E2003 on a Win2003 machine that was once named XXXX and now it's named YYYY. Did you perform the rename before or AFTER you've installed E2003 on it?

Also, did you do what I told you in my previous answer?

Look for remains of the old name in WINS, LMHOSTS files (maybe the old server had them), HOSTS files (likewise), and DNS.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I performed the rename before installing exchange 2003.The old mailserver was reformatted and is now Win2k3 from Windows NT. I tis now a sharepoint server. Will try your suggestions. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X