Mailbox Store Permissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox Store Permissions

Hi, I was recently hired as the IT Administrator at a company. I am slowly starting to get things in a more organized and orderly fashion. I am not well versed in Microsoft Exchange but I picked up "Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Unleashed" to get started. The following image has caught my eye and got me wondering if, the way it is setup is correct or if the FULL Access granted to Domain Users could cause problems. Please let me know what I should do about this and exactly what this means in my exchange environment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	permissions.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	467543
    Brad

Re: Mailbox Store Permissions

Is that screenshot from YOUR server?

If it is, that's a big no no.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes it is a screen shot from my server.

Yes, I figured it was a big no no.

What are the default permissions for the mailbox store?
      Last edited by bredinger; 24th May 2006, 11:40.
      Brad

Comment

I could start posting the exact permissions set but before I beging typing can't you look at a new lab setup server? Pehaps at a differnet server found at one of your friend's networks? If you can't get your hands on one I'll post some screenshots later.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will definitely be coming back to the board due to numerous other issues that I uncover.

Update:

It is my understanding that this particular permission would cause the ability for everyone to view/modify each other's calendars, regardless of the shared calendar settings in Outlook, correct? I want to make sure that this is the case because I know a lot of people are relying on access to particular calendars and if I change this permission I think that we will run into some issues with access denied. Let me know if that sounds right or not, thanks.
          Last edited by bredinger; 24th May 2006, 20:11.
          Brad

Comment

You may also want to talk to your HR and/or CIO (if you have one), and/or whomever helps create computer policies (assuming it's not you) about this issue as well.

Why? In my company for instance, HR has to approve all sharing of calendars / email boxes. Yeah, HR always says yes, but it's a good ideology. Sometimes higher ups need their assistants to see their email boxes, but this also gives them access to proprietary / confidential information. Always a good idea to keep a solid record of whom can see who's email / calendars.

This brings up a related question:

Is there a way to audit an exchange server to see who has access to other's boxes?
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X