Tar Pit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tar Pit

Cool! I just learned tonight that Exchange 2003 supports SMTP tar pit. For a few years I have been running a front end SMTP server on a dedicated server with 3rd party GNU freeware on it that was performing tar pitting for me (the software I have been using to date is called Fluffy the SMTP Guard Dog). Now I can look at getting rid of the dedicated Fluffy server. Fluffy is good when it's working but it was very buggy and crashes frequently. When it crashes, it no longer relays email to the Exchange server. So then the incoming mail stops. There has been no development progress on Fluffy over the past few years and the Fluffy project has gone stale or been abandoned by its programming group. I'm glad I have another choice now.

For me tar pitting has been one of the only effective means of fighting SPAM. Without tar pitting, I was getting over 100 SPAM emails a day. After implementing tar pitting, my SPAM email was reduced to about 3 per day.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Re: Tar Pit

"Captains Log, Day 1"
    ==========================
    Yesterday I shut down the "Fluffy the SMTP Guard Dog" gateway on the dedicated server.
    I then enabled Recipient Filtering as well as Tar Pitting and Intelligent Message Filtering on the Exchange 2003 server.
    Finally, I made a change on the router to direct all SMTP traffic directly to the Exchange 2003 server.

So far I seem to be getting slightly more SPAM coming through to my mailbox than I had previously with Fluffy. IMF isn't catching as much as I think it needs to be. Total number of SPAM messages that have come through since yesterday - about 15 maybe? I might look at cranking up the IMF setting also. In addition to monitoring my inbox for SPAM, I also need to monitor the UCE folder on the Exchange server to see if IMF is filtering legit Email.

I'm working a 24 hour Disaster Recovery practice shift today at a remote hotsite. So far so good. Just passing a little time here while I wait on some tape restores to get moving.

Jas
    Last edited by jasonboche; 12th May 2006, 23:10.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
    X